Fusion Gamer - PixelExit.com [Deleted]

Any reason for not wanting a parent child going on? Basically the last upgrade and hopefully future upgrades you won't need to modify any templates for the most part unless you edit them manually. All parent child does is gives me the ability to push out upgrades super easy to everyone

Is ignorance and lack of time to a solution? :P it seems backwards to me to have to change templates multiple times... but maybe thats me not fully understanding the parent/child relationship with Xenforo.

if the parent has template edits - it passes them onto the child, correct? explicit edits then could be made to the child, right?

in the past I've had some extreme issues sorting through different addons messing with templates and it was a nightmare to handle it parent/child =/

Ya I don't think you fully understand a parent child setup, basically you can make a bunch of changes on the child via CSS and style properties or other changes and let the parent handle the main templates. Next time you upgrade you won't need to reapply the edits.

On top of that its an easy way for me to maintain the colors as well.

With that said this potentially might be going on our framework soon which I would ditch the color child's however... it would still be a child of the framework heh.

Any reason for not wanting a parent child going on? Basically the last upgrade and hopefully future upgrades you won't need to modify any templates for the most part unless you edit them manually. All parent child does is gives me the ability to push out upgrades super easy to everyone

hmm, I see... so would any addon edits need to be done on the parent and then the child would just inherit them?

hmm, I see... so would any addon edits need to be done on the parent and then the child would just inherit them?

No, it would be better to edit the child. When you upgrade, you only have to overwrite the Parent. Your child still contains all the edits.

When you say add-on edits what exactly are you referring too? Like TMS like edits? Majority of the add-ons out there now use hooks so there's no template edited, if you're referring to like template modifications you could look into using TMS and make all your edits on the child style.

It may seem extremely complicated but this I feel is the best way.

When you say add-on edits what exactly are you referring too? Like TMS like edits? Majority of the add-ons out there now use hooks so there's no template edited, if you're referring to like template modifications you could look into using TMS and make all your edits on the child style.

It may seem extremely complicated but this I feel is the best way.

Well, referring to two things

Post Ratings and Duplicate IP finder... both require edits ... in the past, I've had issues with the parent/children setup so I just ditched them.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/find-users-sharing-the-same-ip.9844/
Installation:

1. Upload the contents of the 'upload' directory to your forum root.
  2. Install the addon_Duplicate.xml file
  3. In the 'post' template after:
    Code:
    <xen:if is="{$canViewIps} AND {$post.ip_id}"><a href="{xen:link posts/ip, $post}" class="item control ip OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase ip}</a></xen:if>
    Add:
    Code:
    <xen:if is="{$canViewIps} AND {$post.ip_id}"><a href="{xen:link posts/duplicate, $post}" class="item control duplicate OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase dark_duplicate}</a></xen:if>

Yep so all you would do is make that edit in the post template of the child style. This way next upgrade assuming xenforo made no changes to the post template you just overwrite the master and your done. If you didn't have the child to make your edits... you'd upgrade the normal style then have to reapply all your edits every single upgrade.

Yep so all you would do is make that edit in the post template of the child style. This way next upgrade assuming xenforo made no changes to the post template you just overwrite the master and your done. If you didn't have the child to make your edits... you'd upgrade the normal style then have to reapply all your edits every single upgrade.

but couldnt I make the template change to the parent? If we did have multiple children wouldnt they grab the change from the parent?

is there no children inheritance for template customization ?

The point is if you make a change to the parent when I supply an update you'll have to redo your edits every upgrade.

The point is if you make a change to the parent when I supply an update you'll have to redo your edits every upgrade.

I understand that now. I'm wondering now that if a change is made to the parent, does it carry to the child unless you explicitly override it?
Thanks a lot btw - I'll probably be purchasing this very soon!

I understand that now. I'm wondering now that if a change is made to the parent, does it carry to the child unless you explicitly override it?
Thanks a lot btw - I'll probably be purchasing this very soon!
Changes will carry to the child style from the parent if the template you modify in the parent isn't already customized itself in the child.

i.e If you add that edit you posted above for the post ratings in the child... it wouldn't take effect on the parent. Later down the road if you edit the same template for the MASTER style doing some other edit, it wouldn't trickle down to the child as the child has been previously customized.

Hope that makes sense.

Changes will carry to the child style from the parent if the template you modify in the parent isn't already customized itself in the child.

i.e If you add that edit you posted above for the post ratings in the child... it wouldn't take effect on the parent. Later down the road if you edit the same template for the MASTER style doing some other edit, it wouldn't trickle down to the child as the child has been previously customized.

Hope that makes sense.

I see... thats making more sense I suppose!

Is there any different sprites for the new message/topics on the main forum thread or would we have to create our own and implement?

I see... thats making more sense I suppose!

Is there any different sprites for the new message/topics on the main forum thread or would we have to create our own and implement?

I provide the PSD for the current ones but there's currently no other default ones available.

I'll probably wait until 1.2 before diving in on this, work just got really busy =/ and I dont want to have to redo things if there is an update, makes it sound unbearable haha...

Last edited:
Just a heads up... considering 1.2 is in beta we'll be updating our premium styles in the near future, we'll be taking our time making sure everything is functioning the best it can with the new responsive design.

Just a heads up... considering 1.2 is in beta we'll be updating our premium styles in the near future, we'll be taking our time making sure everything is functioning the best it can with the new responsive design.

Sounds great!

Top Bottom