Votes: 1 0.7%
  • South America

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Antarctica

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Australia

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
There is nothing wrong with the metric system but the majority of the populous (ie the oldies) have lived and grown up using imperial measurements. That is slowly changing, for the better. I guess it is a resistance to change. Don't forget that England (and her Empire) ruled 1/4 of the Earth not that long ago (the largest in history), industrialised first, and gave the World many many great things. We are a very very proud nation of people who do not want to be "ruled" by another collection of people. Hence the resistance to being called part of Europe.
I know both and can convert back and forth so doesn't bother me.

I know both and can convert back and forth so doesn't bother me.

The biggest problem we face is that many industries are/haved moving/moved toward/s metric but the roads are still imperial. MPH and Miles are everywhere and I cannot see how the UK can convert to a KPH/Kilometre system for the roads without wrecking havoc and causing chaos.

The biggest problem we face is that many industries are/haved moving/moved toward/s metric but the roads are still imperial. MPH and Miles are everywhere and I cannot see how the UK can convert to a KPH/Kilometre system for the roads without wrecking havoc and causing chaos.
Yeah, almost all cars have a MPH speedometer and there are like 10 signs every 500 meters where i live, Changing them would cost too much. It's best to start teaching the SI system in school and let the future generations slowly adapt to it.

You'll get over it.. we did in Australia/ New Zealand the 1960's ;)

Funnily enough we can "talk" both still.. I know what 6 foot 3 is.. or a pint etc.... even though for most of us the changes came in before we were born.

Metric rules, I can't believe anyone would want to stick with Imperial it is soooooo illogical.

I hate when USA subsumes the name America, what about the other american countries? America is a continent, for The god's sake.
Explain: An uruguay or mexican or columbian man/woman say: "We are also american"
Explain 2: in New York or California, a man/woman say: "We are also american"
And now I'm asking which correctly? OR thats normal OR not the true? Please tell me it, lol :p
Just to point out:
The person you quoted did not specifically say they meant "USA" when they said "America", although that was what they meant. What if his initial post had actually meant those of us on the American continents, and not just USA?

At any rate, it's just a name. There's no real use to getting worked up over what people call themselves. After all, what would be a good alternative? USAer? You have to remember, too, that English--like many languages--shortens and abbreviates words and phrases. Australians are Aussies, Britain citizens are Brits, United States of America citizens are Americans.

Yes, America also extends to other countries that don't have "America" in their name, but belong to this same continent, but if you understood his initial post as "Americans" = "USA citizens", then it shouldn't be anything to go out of your way saying those in the USA are greedy with the American name. It's usually understood that what the shortened term "American" refers to. I'm pretty sure those in North Korea don't get upset when people call South Korea "Korean". Well... actually they might, haha.

Anyway, if there is any real problem, you should tell people in Japan to stop referring to USA citizens as アメリカ人 [amerika jin] rather than アメリカ合衆国人 [amerika gasshukoku jin].

Funnily enough we can "talk" both still.. I know what 6 foot 3 is.. or a pint etc.... even though for most of us the changes came in before we were born.
True. I use feet and inches to describe height, or short distances. But I use kilometres and metres for longer distances, and I use centimeters and millimeters for really short distances.

I'm 23, so the new system came in well before I was born - I don't know why I use both, I just do.

Just to point out:
The person you quoted did not specifically say they meant "USA" when they said "America", although that was what they meant. What if his initial post had actually meant those of us on the American continents, and not just USA?

At any rate, it's just a name. There's no real use to getting worked up over what people call themselves. After all, what would be a good alternative? USAer? You have to remember, too, that English--like many languages--shortens and abbreviates words and phrases. Australians are Aussies, Britain citizens are Brits, United States of America citizens are Americans.

Yes, America also extends to other countries that don't have "America" in their name, but belong to this same continent, but if you understood his initial post as "Americans" = "USA citizens", then it shouldn't be anything to go out of your way saying those in the USA are greedy with the American name. It's usually understood that what the shortened term "American" refers to. I'm pretty sure those in North Korea don't get upset when people call South Korea "Korean". Well... actually they might, haha.

Anyway, if there is any real problem, you should tell people in Japan to stop referring to USA citizens as アメリカ人 [amerika jin] rather than アメリカ合衆国人 [amerika gasshukoku jin].

Well, It sounds nonsense when a new york citizen calls himself "american" when he means the country, not the continent. As for the abbreviation thing, it also doesn't cover the situation. For ezample "Benelux" is an abbreviation. America is not. It is plain, simple, and obvious. USA'ian can be an alternative, but American can not. Because what would you say when you mean your continental origin? Again American, right? It is openly subsuming a continental name under your country. Think about a Brasilian when he says "i am american" on a suitable context. We are comfortable with saying "I am Asian" on every context. How about the Mexican?

Well, It sounds nonsense when a new york citizen calls himself "american" when he means the country, not the continent. As for the abbreviation thing, it also doesn't cover the situation. For ezample "Benelux" is an abbreviation. America is not. It is plain, simple, and obvious. USA'ian can be an alternative, but American can not. Because what would you say when you mean your continental origin? Again American, right? It is openly subsuming a continental name under your country. Think about a Brasilian when he says "i am american" on a suitable context. We are comfortable with saying "I am Asian" on every context. How about the Mexican?
:P This is why I wonder, because it seems you are singling out that only USA citizens say "American" when referring to those in the USA.
American (A·mer·i·can)
Syllabification:​
Pronunciation:
/əˈmerikən/​
adjective

• of, relating to, or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants:the election of a new American president
  • relating to or denoting the continents of America:the American continent south of the tropic of Cancer
noun

• 1 a native or citizen of the United States
  • [usually with adjective] a native or inhabitant of any of the countries of North, South, or Central America​
  • 2 the English language as it is used in the United States; American English
http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_us1221368#m_en_us1221368

4. The terms "Americans" or "American colonists" were used by the British way back when the USA was only a colony of Britain. After the USA was formed, people living in this new country continued to be referred to as Americans. So American people did not choose to call themselves that. If anyone presumed that people in the territory of what is now the USA were the only "Americans," then it was the British. The term is not exclusively used by US citizens either. Many other countries refer to US Citizens as "Americans" also.

5. What other alternative is there, that both evokes the culture of the people in the USA and rolls easily off the tongue? Yankee? Not to mention, the term "American" has a long history in being associated with US citizens and their culture, and to ignore that is arrogant. Basically, you'd be asking a whole nation to re-write its identity.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_US_ci...ves_Americans_instead_of_only_North_Americans

Someone from Brazil would be a "South American", just as anyone living in a Spanish speaking country in North or South America are "Latin Americans".
By your logic, who is a Virginian? Those living in Virginia, or those living in West Virginia?

:p This is why I wonder, because it seems you are singling out that only USA citizens say "American" when referring to those in the USA.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_us1221368#m_en_us1221368

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_US_ci...ves_Americans_instead_of_only_North_Americans

Someone from Brazil would be a "South American", just as anyone living in a Spanish speaking country in North or South America are "Latin Americans".
By your logic, who is a Virginian? Those living in Virginia, or those living in West Virginia?

Oh man never mind, thats just our some thinks. American is an American. USA'ian is an USA'ian.
An USA'ian someone say: "Chousho I love you!" :D

I need a little coffee now and will get that.

Wales ... Cymru, The Land Of My Fathers

Unbelievable to some Americans, NOT part of England but in fact part of the United Kingdom along side England...

Unbelievable to some English NOT full of sheep shaggers, though I don't deny there aren't some it doesn't constitute as all welsh doing it.

Unbelievable to most Welsh, not that great at our national sport (Rugby) and didn't even invent it because it was created in the town Rugby (England) by a 13 year old boy... Hmmm...

General suggestion. If you are willing to disclose your location publicly, maybe fill in your location so people might be able to know where you are?

Sometimes it helps to have a general idea for better communications. Occasionally people refer to things in their area, sometimes there are different words for things depending on local area...

720 Year's

My homeland has birthday today. National Holiday
Switzerland was born/establish on 1 August 1291 with The Swiss Federal Charter of 1291

Bildschirmfoto 2011-07-31 um 01.40.42.webp

We are a small country but with a great heart
God bless my Homeland.

Switzerland National Anthem
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

... and her a very special Edition

For those arguing over USA vs. American...

I'm a Texan.

Its with no small matter of pride as an Irish Texan that I mention the original anthem of the Republic of Texas was an Irish folksong played at the Battle of San Jacinto, "Will You Come to the Bower"

This is tune:
But the words were changed to:

Will you come to the bower I have shaded for you?
Your bed shall be of roses, be spangled with dew.
Will you, will you, will you come to the bower?
Will you, will you, will you come to the bower?

There under the bower on soft roses you'll lie,
With a blush on your cheek, but a smile in your eye.
Will you, will you, will you smile my beloved?
Will you, will you, will you smile my beloved?

But the roses we press shall not rival your lips,
nor the dew be so sweet as the kisses we'll sip.
Will you, will you, will you kiss me my beloved?
Will you, will you, will you kiss me my beloved?

South Sweden (Halland)

Top Bottom