Votes: 1 0.7%
  • South America

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Antarctica

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Australia

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
Weak argument. Those countries were never considered part of a continent. The UK, however, is geographically and politically part of the EU; therefore, European.
Actually, Greenland is a part of the North American continent, even though it is a part of the kingdom of Denmark.

But that wasn't the point. The point was to show that
Which continent is the UK part of?
is among that same reasoning; that "X is close to/in Y, therefore X = Y" does not always hold true. What happens when you come upon a situation like Turkey?

Well the EU made a call on that one :p
Haha, exactly! Turkey is geographically within both Europe and Asia, with the majority, Anatolia, located in Asia minor; sharing in a culture, religion and languages of countries in the Middle East [in Asia].
If Turkey is judged soley by location, the majority of the country is located in Asia, along with sharing many of the same cultural aspects. This disregards the political ties as well in being a part of the EU.
So we have to look at the whole picture, too.

Even Greenland, a North American country, uses the Danish krone, afterall ;D

We do NOT consider ourselves to be a part of Europe, we did NOT vote to become a part of Europe and find it very insulting when people try telling us we are Europeans, we want to maintain our Sovereignty as England, a part of the United Kingdom.

We do NOT consider ourselves to be a part of Europe, we did NOT vote to become a part of Europe and find it very insulting when people try telling us we are Europeans, we want to maintain our Sovereignty as England, a part of the United Kingdom.

OK, but this was simple nationalism or financial interests Alice? :p

OK, but this was simple nationalism or financial interests Alice? :p

Not really sure what your question implies, we are governed by our own Government who answer to our Queen, we do not want to be ruled by strangers in other countries, there is nothing more to it for the people.

I am from the very cold country named Sweden, and now it just getting colder and colder and this weather have given me a cold.

Turkey
Asia : % 97
Europe : % 3

bayrak.webp

http://www.vidivodo.com/198639/turkiye-tanitim

I'm not out to cause strife here, but just how "united" do you think that kingdom to be? Ireland was forced to be part of that kingdom against the will of its native people, and as a result we were all left with a huge mess in Northern Ireland.

Why do I mention that? Well it's because I see the EU as a way to overcome the years of strife and trouble between nations, be it Ireland/England, Germany/France and so on.

It's not about central rule, more about a community of nations who look out for each other.

Then .. to which continent UK belongs to ?
As an example , Iceland is a European island country.

Geographically you are and always were part of the continent Europe, there's no denial :)

The UK may be a sovereign and eurosceptical country (which I agree with BTW), but it is still a member state of the EU.

You know what really makes me wonder with such debates and discussions as this one, if you really want to strong-arm someone into capitulating with one school of thought or another by presenting trick questions, why don't I present the greatest trick response of all.

The planet Earth has a crust, it is unending, it covers every single square inch of the Globe, so in actuality we are ALL living in the same place, continents and the such are divisions brought about by conquering forces. I personally want no part in those factors, I, as pretty much all English people consider myself to be English, it is by other factors that we are forced into acceptance of ideologies that we couldn't care less for.

For my part, I live in England, England in terms of the people, are absolutely nothing to do with Europe, the arguements presented here against my point are strange to me, I do not wish to argue with you about my feelings and how we English see who we are. People from other countries such as Ireland should not be trying to attack me, I have absolutely no control over what the English government get up to, the government are NOT the people and they really do NOT represent what we want or how we would like the World to see us, I do not agree with a massive amount of what our government get up to, but believe me when I say they don't care what I think or feel, they never have and never will.

My point remains steadfast, England is a part of the United Kingdom (or Great Britain, this terms always baffles me in truth!), not Europe.

Top Bottom