From vB 4.2.1 with vBSEO to XenForo

Recep Baltaş

Hi guys,

we are currently a web site with daily 20K visits (10K to forum) and runnig vB 4.2.1 with vBSEO.

1. How many hours will it take us to switch to XenForo?
  2. What is the amouunt of traffic that we will lose?
  3. Will the vBSEO likes converted to XenForo likes, if exists?
  4. Does XenForo has Turkish translation and if not, can I translate it?
  5. Does Xenforo have UTF-8 support. Let's try this right away: ğ,ü,ş,ı,ö,ç. Update: It works.
  6. Will users have to reset their passwords?
  7. What will happen to the vBulletin blog posts of our forum?
  8. What will happen to the tags in our forum?
  9. Do you guys listen to the customer and add features we want? e.g. With my suggestion, VB5 will have user tagging just like facebook and hastags just like twitter. Also YouTube links will be converted to videos right away.
  10. I have diabled PMs for users with less than 500 messages. Can I do the same with XenForo?
  11. I have Spam-O-matic which prevents spammers form registering. Is there any solution for this in XenForo?

Thank you for your replies.

Solution
  1. Its dependent on size, amount of posts, users, etc.
  2. The amount of traffic is dependent on you. If you are talking about search engine traffic, it varies but there is an assumed period where your indexes need to rebuild.
  3. You'll need to custom import vBSEO likes to XenForo likes.
  4. There may be one in the resource manager, if not, its fully phrased.
  5. Yes.
  6. No.
  7. Blog posts are not imported, you'll need a custom importer (and add-on to utilize them).
  8. Tags are not imported, you'll need a custom importer (and add-on to utilize them).
  9. All suggestions are considered, but not all suggestions are added. You are free to suggest them.
  10. Yes.
  11. XenForo has a powerful built in spam management suite.
  2. The amount of traffic is dependent on you. If you are talking about search engine traffic, it varies but there is an assumed period where your indexes need to rebuild.
  5. Yes.
  6. No.
  7. Blog posts are not imported, you'll need a custom importer (and add-on to utilize them).
  8. Tags are not imported, you'll need a custom importer (and add-on to utilize them).
  9. All suggestions are considered, but not all suggestions are added. You are free to suggest them.
  10. Yes.

Solution
Thanks for the reply. Let me check my list.

1. 30.000 threads and 150.000 posts. i7 970 processor server with SSD. Any estimated time?
  2. How long is this period? My traffic is 80% Saerch Engine.
  3. So, Xenforo support Likes system? If not, is there an add-on or an alternative like "thanks" sytem present?
  4. I can translate it, OK
  5. OK
  6. OK
  7. Is this add-on available?
  8. Is this add-on available?
  9. OK
  10. OK
  11. OK

1. I haven't imported enough boards to be able to give you a solid time estimate. However, you can perform several test imports to gain a solid estimate, however, it shouldn't be extremely long.
2. It really depends on the search engine. With proper redirects, you should be able to maintain most of your traffic.
3. Likes are built in. Click "Like" next to Reply on any post that isn't your own.
7. There is Better Blogs with a released importer.
8. I believe XenTags has an importer, but I do not use it.

Thank you for fast reply. Real good job here.

1. A day? 8 Hours? 2 Hours? I know tohugh question but I want to have an idea.
2. I have seen on some board that someone wrote "XenForo does the redirect for 'vbSEO with vBulletin' setups' ". I really don't want to manually redirect :)
3. First suggestion then: add like importer for vBSEO customers. vBSEO is sinking and people are jumping off the ship.
7. OK
8. OK

BTW, do you use CKEditor?

1. I can't give you an estimate, but with your size, definitely less than a day.
2. You'll need to add redirects manually (.htaccess if you retain IDs) and we can help you write them if need be.
3. I believe there is an open suggestion, but all suggestions should be made in the Suggestions forum.

CKEditor is not built in, nor supported by XenForo. XenForo uses Redactor (as you can see it in action here).

Cool. Thanks a lot. I am lost at the moment. Hopefully I will decide whether or not to go with (a) vBULLETtin (on my head) or switch to XenForo (philosophy)... In the mean time, I suggest that you widen importing support.

I have a similar size forum however on a VPS and it took about an hour to convert over from vb4 including vbseo redirects (which I had got working on my test site first)

I know its not a question but I have NO regrets moving to xF. I doubt you will regret it either.

Importers are added with demand and as time allows. It is the philosophy of XenForo not to "import" anything it doesn't have an official destination that works with the functionality its importing from. What are you lost on?

I'm not sure what access non customers have but basically there are some redirect phps you put in your old vB dir and then edited a config/htacess and you're good to go regarding forum posts.. I'm not incredibly tech savvy and I worked it out (with help from posting on here) in an hour or so.

I've noticed very little traffic differences as all old urls stored on google redirect to valid XF handled posts.

Importers are added with demand and as time allows. It is the philosophy of XenForo not to "import" anything it doesn't have an official destination that works with the functionality its importing from. What are you lost on?

I am a tech savy person but nowadays I have focused on Hackintosh projects and I really don't want to mess with importing and stuff. Do you guys provide importing service? If yes, what is the cost? If not, this is my another suggestion here, provide it ;)

5. Yes.
  6. No.
  10. Yes.
@Jeremy - where is this option? I have diabled PMs for users with less than 500 messages. Can I do the same with XenForo?

Top Bottom