Free Speech in Forums

I ask the mods/admins to change this topic respectfully to Free-opinions-in-forums to avoid the attachment of free speech to US law.

This is a better way of putting it imho, there is always confusion when the words FREE and Speech are put together ;)

:D

... if your people don't have free opinion on your site (within your terms that is) then all you end up with is a bunch of yes men.

Yeah, that's a little different. You mean, people should be allowed to express unpopular opinions on the topic at hand, right? But there's a difference between an unpopular opinion being objectionable, and the manner in which it is stated being objectionable.

Exactly....free opinion means I think this and heres why....what do you think...

where as - (example) that's stupid and your wrong - is not objectionable ...tho it is opinion the rules of the site say no disrespect to other members and that comes before my opinions, yah know? Not to say people don't get offended over misunderstandings but if something doesn't break a rule and was said with ill intent in a way that circumvents the rules, it still doesn't in fact circumvent anything because it still falls under the rule of no stabs taken at other community members.
If you want to use america as an example, I'm guaranteed the pursuit of happiness here, but I would be a sick man if I believed that hurting another person was OK because it makes me happy...that would be me putting myself in front of people as whole. Or if you get arrested here, pull the free speech speech in a courtroom and tell the judge to shut up and see how fast she tells you the definition of free speech. Bring that back to a forum ....

So i have to revert back to a well laid out guideline and the will to enforce only the guidelines and resounding principles is the way to solve this issue...

In closing free opinon and speech is a neccesity for a community to grow as long as those things do not interfere with the big picture and the problem is with the people trying to bend the rules because they think they are above them...

I am starting to pray for harsh moderation on XenForo. The trolls coming out of the woodwork are amazing.

People who want XenForo to be a carbon copy of vB3.8.
People who want to bring up old arguments from vB.com.
People with no sense of humor, no perspective, and no vision for the future.

We might have escaped the vB software by coming here. But we didn't escape its so-called "fans".

thread-bootapplytoforehead.jpg

I am starting to pray for harsh moderation on XenForo. The trolls coming out of the woodwork are amazing.

People who want XenForo to be a carbon copy of vB3.8.
People who want to bring up old arguments from vB.com.
People with no sense of humor, no perspective, and no vision for the future.

We might have escaped the vB software by coming here. But we didn't escape its so-called "fans".

That isn't a vB thing, that's just a forums-on-the-internet thing. There are always trolls, there are always old arguments, there are always people with no sense of humor, and so on. No amount of harsh moderation is going to weed out every single thing that anyone might ever object to. At some point, board members just have to be grownups and accept that they aren't always going to be 100% happy about everything they read on a forum.

Top Bottom