Free dedi server practice.

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Right,

Well as per http://xenforo.com/community/threads/1and1-another-thumbs-up.13440/ as of today I have a dedi server free of charge for a month.

As such, I know there are a few people on here who looked at their own servers or similar, however lack the confidence to take the plunge. So I am willing that if people who want to take some first steps into learning about managing / configuring and setting up a dedi server, I will offer it up to you to try out. It doesn't matter if you mess everything up as when you are done I will just re-image the server and set it up for myself.

Im sure there are more advanced users than me here, so if someone else is willing to give some "tutorials" or similar I will leave it between "teachers" and "students" to dicuss times to have a lesson.

If you are someone who is wanting to try this out for themselves or willing to teach others, reply here or drop me a PM.

//Slav

1) a root-server is not a playground for any beginner(should be done in a home-virt. enviroment)
2) you are allways responsible for the server and bad things wich are going out(or in) from the server

so may you think over once again about your proj. before you may loose a lot of money or get sued.

1) a root-server is not a playground for any beginner(should be done in a home-virt. enviroment)
2) you are allways responsible for the server and bad things wich are going out(or in) from the server

so may you think over once again about your proj. before you may loose a lot of money or get sued.

I think you mis-interpret what I am offering up here.

Anything I show people will be done via teamviewer or similar, showing people who often express the interest of going from a managed server / managed vps to self managing, that the basics of what you need to do are very simple and not to be scared of.

Letting them see that how most servers come pre-configured and its relatively simple to do it on their own.

But also offering them the peace of mind that while they are doing this should they press the "ONE BUTTON OF DOOM" that most people like to over-exaggerate and use to scare possible new-comers off that nothing will exactly be harmed. (Not that anything I show them will be capable of doing that)

This is very nice and had I had an offer like this I would have switched to dedicated hardware more than a year earlier after seeing the capabilities. Hopefully this helps someone out. Good lookin out Slavik.

Well the thing is...as he said...he has this for free for a month I think so instead of letting it rot away since there is nothing to lose on it he is offering to let people learn and teach with it all not having to risk anything of their own...when done he just imports the image and back to 0. VPS is probably the best way to teach someone if you were setting out to go set something like this up I can agree, but he is just killing the lame duck time of his second (orig) server. No harm no foul I say. Setting up vps on his hardware for one month of free teaching probably wouldn't be worth his effort.

Maybe a VPS would be more appropriate for a testing field, given that it is disposable and rebuildable?

As said above, the server will otherwise be sat there for a month doing nothing, Might aswell use it for something, I can kick off a server re-image and it takes about 2 hours to do no charge and completely automated so while a VPS may be a bit easier, this makes use of an otherwise un-used resource hopefully for the better good :)

As said above, the server will otherwise be sat there for a month doing nothing, Might aswell use it for something, I can kick off a server re-image and it takes about 2 hours to do no charge and completely automated so while a VPS may be a bit easier, this makes use of an otherwise un-used resource hopefully for the better good :)

That's reassuring. Some providers charge for reimaging. :/

Top Bottom