Best practices to run a fresh new server ?

Hi guys

I’ve always managed my servers manually without panel by installing and configuring reps via command line.

As of 2023 now what do you are the best methods to deploy a quick and secure server VPS for a XF / Wordpress website for live production or testing/staging?

I came accross the @eva mod here but i don’t think this it’s compatible with debian.

Advices will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

First thing to do at a bare minimum on any flavour of Linux to secure it;

Now you have unknown user > root, unknown SSH port and key based authentication only.

Then worry about anything web server related. Yum/DNF install nano editor, mariadb, epel and remi PHP php-fpm packages. Don't install nginx from yum or dnf, compile it from download package at nginx.org Add redis, imagick, elasticsearch etc. it's like digital Lego for adults and you will learn much simply by reading guides on installing all packages for your distro. Keep it simple and fast. Once you understand this, you will never use cPanel again. Outsource the email. Running a properly configured secure mail server is unnecessary hassle. Amazon is cheap.

If you are impatient or learning download https://winscp.net/eng/index.php login as root with a RSA key for root account (or just your password) and have a FTP type interface of your server. You can directly edit files. Also download putty for SSH connection with your key or password. You can configure winscp with putty for automatic command line login on startup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kml
Top Bottom