Free addons accessibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute garbage.

If it doesn't have a monetary cost associated with it, then it's free.
You might check your dictionary. The word encompasses more than monetary cost, such as restrictions, qualifications and obligations. If you have to do something to qualify for the "free" item, it really doesn't fit the definition of the word.

If the lab rat doesn't hit the feeder bar, he doesn't get the "free" food.

You're making a worthless comparison.
You're making a worthless point. You're implying an entitlement to use someone else's work for free, and you disagree with the terms they set out to use their work. They're entitled to request any terms they want for you to use your work (within XenForo's resource guidelines when advertising here of course). It's up to you to decide whether those terms are acceptable to you or not.

But which if it does happen to do so, WILL be detected and that Dev will lose his privileges to post addons at xF dot com. It's happened before.
And I'm sure if the developer decides to use your data in a manner that isn't in compliance with their privacy policy and data protection law the same would happen. And on top of XF taking action, they'd be liable to action from a data protection authority. The consequences are more clear and worse. In the history of XF add-ons I do not recall a case where a developer had a data breach, or used data in an unauthorised manner. ******* would be the closest to it, and although I don't know the details of his case, afaik the issue with him didn't include that.

Your 'concerns' are ridiculous. You provide your email address to register on pretty much any site. I have over 1000 accounts in my password manager, each of them with an email address of mine. It is the most basic requirement to create an account anywhere. I don't even trust half of those sites, and generally use a different email address to my personal for that. If you're still worried, you can use a throwaway disposable email address.

It's insulting to suggest that XenForo add-on developers are so irresponsible and incompetent that you're unwilling to trust them with an (not necessary your main) email address, yet competent enough for you to use an add-on by them for free.

I don't. Never have, never will.
Then I don't understand your stake in this issue. You don't use those add-ons, great, so you have no problems here? Fantastic.

You might check your dictionary. The word encompasses more than monetary cost, such as restrictions, qualifications and obligations. If you have to do something to qualify for the "free" item, it really doesn't fit the definition of the word.
You might want to check the XF add resource page.

MemVpbu.png

Clearly covers monetary, hard currency values only, hence the currency dropdown.

Usage of anything has restrictions on it. Read the license of the software you use. Your point is gravely wrong.

And I'm sure if the developer decides to use your data in a manner that isn't in compliance with their privacy policy and data protection law the same would happen.
Much much more difficult to detect or prove, don't you see?
You're implying an entitlement to use someone else's work for free, and you disagree with the terms they set out to use their work.
No one is forcing them to offer anything for free. But they do. It's simply a semantics issue, it is NOT "free" if it requires jumping through the hoops. See my post above.
Then I don't understand your stake in this issue. You don't use those add-ons, great, so you have no problems here? Fantastic.
Just stating my opinion. Kind of what discussion boards are for.
Usage of anything has restrictions on it. Read the license of the software you use. Your point is gravely wrong.
That statement while accurate is also deflective. xF is a PAID platform. It's not advertised as free in any way.

I think we've gotten enough mileage out of your point.

We have no current plans to change the resource types available so free resources, hosted externally, will continue to be permitted going forward.

Anyone who doesn't like that method of obtaining an add-on is entirely within their right to not use that add-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom