XF 1.2 Forums used to be at /forum, now its at /forums

tajhay

Hi,
My forums used to be at /forum/ and was bookmarked by most of the users. I have since upgraded from 1.1.4 to 1.2 and it seems now the forums appear at /forums/.

I have tried to put route filters :
find route : forum/
replace with : forums/
incoming URL conversion only = checked
enabled = checked

but it doesnt do anything. If people goto the site(www.xyz.com/forum, they are met with "The requested page could not be found."

Is there a way i can fix this.

Note i also use XenPorta but suspect that might not be the issue.

The route for forums has always been forums. I know XenPorta messed with routes. Did you happen to have the Route Changer Addon installed?

Did your folder name change? Check via your FTP program.

The route changer wouldn't work as it only applies to stuff after the /forum/

You will need to create a 301 redirect in your .htaccess from /forum/ -> /forums/

This is a big issue with xenPorta on 1.2 and seems there is no way to fix it at the moment. You can't use the Route Filter to change /forums/ -> to /forum/ as that will change all indexed threads from default XF urls.

The route for forums has always been forums. I know XenPorta messed with routes. Did you happen to have the Route Changer Addon installed?
No didnt have the route changer addon.

Did your folder name change? Check via your FTP program.
Nope no folder name changes.

You will need to create a 301 redirect in your .htaccess from /forum/ -> /forums/

This is a big issue with xenPorta on 1.2 and seems there is no way to fix it at the moment.
Is the htaccess change the only way to get around this at the moment?

Anyone got the .htaccess code i would need? Would really be appreciated.

I easily used the route filters feature in 1.2 to change this. :)

WsaI0HS.png

Works perfectly.

My forum just moved over from vB last week. For years my url's have been bike-talk.com/forum/ (not forums). Just changed the route to: forums/ > forum/ and did not select Incoming Only. Is this incorrect? I was thinking that if selecting Incoming Only my threads would get indexed as two different pages. I'm concerned since I have 19k discussions and 150k messages indexed over the past 9 years.

WsaI0HS.png

Also, wish there were a way to always replace /threads/ with /[category name]/

This is a big issue with xenPorta on 1.2 and seems there is no way to fix it at the moment. You can't use the Route Filter to change /forums/ -> to /forum/ as that will change all indexed threads from default XF urls.

I know--I saw that myself with xenPorta. I had an earlier version, but had to uninstall it in order to upgrade and the URLs all changed. Had I known, I wouldn't have bothered, as we will lose our page rankings because of it. It's not as busy of a site, but still...

That's why I'm going the route of getting a WordPress/XF bridge, and making it work only if it works to my specifications. If it changes any URLs on our big board, for instance, I would never install it.

@oman's recommendation is fine - just do incoming URL conversion only.

Can anybody share their final resolution of this? I recently paid for an XF upgrade and also updated XenPorta and now I am experiencing this issue. The above solution did not work for me so I am wondering whether there are other changes I need to make. Thank you.

I apparently did not have the route filter check. The route filter is now checked so anything that directs to /forum is being redirected to /forums. However, my forum was always at /forum and that is what the search engines have so my question is how can I get XF to load at /forum in light of the above?

Top Bottom