1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is my license linked to my forum? How many forums can I have at once?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Ruudiluca, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Ruudiluca

Ruudiluca Member

If I were to buy Xenforo and host it on a dedicated server which other people had access to, would those other people be able to see/steal my license key?

How does the key validate?

Another question:
    If I were to make a second forum with the same license key, what would happen to the old forum?
  2. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

Cannot make two databases with one license.
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You may only run one installation at a time. It is up to the license holder to ensure the files are kept secure.
  4. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

You'd need to buy a second license.

For every site you launch, it requires a new license.
  5. oman

oman Well-Known Member

To answer your questions.

1. No, not unless you give them the key.

2. Information can be found here: http://xenforo.com/api/
    >>Basically you give the person your key and domain (not compulsory) that you are running the installation on. They put that key in, it displays whether the license is valid and transferable.

3. From the license agreement:

So as said above, you can only run a single live installation with a license, as well as one password protected test installation.
  6. Ruudiluca

Ruudiluca Member

So... If I were to shut down a website which I was running Xenforo on, I could open a new one with the same key?
    If that's the case, then excellent.
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

As long as you uninstall/remove the software from the first domain, yes.
  8. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd add something..... if you're sharing a server with people you do not trust, especially if they have root, that is not a good situation to be in at all. Anyone who has root on your server can take all your files and databases, intercept emails, etc.
  9. Ruudiluca

Ruudiluca Member

Wait, it actually has to be fully uninstalled?
    I want to have a key and lend the forum package to someone, but I want to keep the actual key to myself.

If I were to lose server access, would I then lose access to my package forever?

I'm not bothered about emails and databases and stuff as it'll be for their community.
  10. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

You cannot "lend" the forum software to someone else to use. Doing so would be a violation of the license agreement. You should also not trust someone else with your software, because you are responsible for what happens to it.

You can buy another copy and give it to them though (I've done this and so has others).
  11. Ruudiluca

Ruudiluca Member

How far does this go? I intend to use my license for a community which is owned by someone else. However, I will be the one who is going to maintain and manage the website. However, I want the license in my name.
  12. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Basically, if you do not own the site, you do not have the right let someone else use it (you cannot let someone borrow your license). What you propose is a violation of the license agreement
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  13. Ruudiluca

Ruudiluca Member

If it is a violation, then I can't use it for what I want to use it for. No point getting it then. :/

It does mention that I can do it with written consent, so I might request that.
  14. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Buy your own domain and hosting account and give only yourself access. Lending software can lead to all kinds of problems in the future.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  15. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You will be fine purchasing the license and installing it on a site you manage. If you like to start a new site, the old site must be completely removed or a second license purchased.
    Neal, Adam Howard and Tracy Perry like this.
  16. Ruudiluca

Ruudiluca Member

Brilliant, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank-you.