How is my license linked to my forum? How many forums can I have at once?

Ruudiluca

If I were to buy Xenforo and host it on a dedicated server which other people had access to, would those other people be able to see/steal my license key?

How does the key validate?

Another question:
If I were to make a second forum with the same license key, what would happen to the old forum?

If I were to buy Xenforo and host it on a dedicated server which other people had access to, would those other people be able to see/steal my license key?

How does the key validate?

Another question:
If I were to make a second forum with the same license key, what would happen to the old forum?

To answer your questions.

1. No, not unless you give them the key.

2. Information can be found here: http://xenforo.com/api/
>>Basically you give the person your key and domain (not compulsory) that you are running the installation on. They put that key in, it displays whether the license is valid and transferable.

3. From the license agreement:

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the payment by You of the applicable fee for the Software, XenForo Limited grants You a limited, non-exclusive, worldwide license to install, download and use a single instance of the Software ("License") through a single installation. Each License may run one instance of the Software, accessible via one URL. Any attempt to circumvent this limitation is prohibited and will result in the License being revoked.

Before deploying the Software, you must register in the XenForo.com customer area the address (URL) at which You will use the License. This URL must be kept up-to-date. You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.

So as said above, you can only run a single live installation with a license, as well as one password protected test installation.

Just thought I'd add something..... if you're sharing a server with people you do not trust, especially if they have root, that is not a good situation to be in at all. Anyone who has root on your server can take all your files and databases, intercept emails, etc.

As long as you uninstall/remove the software from the first domain, yes.
Wait, it actually has to be fully uninstalled?
I want to have a key and lend the forum package to someone, but I want to keep the actual key to myself.

If I were to lose server access, would I then lose access to my package forever?

I'm not bothered about emails and databases and stuff as it'll be for their community.

Wait, it actually has to be fully uninstalled?
I want to have a key and lend the forum package to someone, but I want to keep the actual key to myself.

If I were to lose server access, would I then lose access to my package forever?

I'm not bothered about emails and databases and stuff as it'll be for their community.
You cannot "lend" the forum software to someone else to use. Doing so would be a violation of the license agreement. You should also not trust someone else with your software, because you are responsible for what happens to it.

You can buy another copy and give it to them though (I've done this and so has others).

You cannot "lend" the forum software to someone else to use. Doing so would be a violation of the license agreement. You should also not trust someone else with your software, because you are responsible for what happens to it.

You can buy another copy and give it to them though (I've done this and so has others).
How far does this go? I intend to use my license for a community which is owned by someone else. However, I will be the one who is going to maintain and manage the website. However, I want the license in my name.

How far does this go? I intend to use my license for a community which is owned by someone else. However, I will be the one who is going to maintain and manage the website. However, I want the license in my name.
http://xenforo.com/license-agreement/

Basically, if you do not own the site, you do not have the right let someone else use it (you cannot let someone borrow your license). What you propose is a violation of the license agreement

Last edited:
Top Bottom