XF 2.2 Forums Slow after moving DB location

Kaos1420

Hello!

I have moved my DB location from localhost to google cloud sql and ever since I moved it and changed the config.php info, my forums have been extremely slow to load (we’re talking 13 seconds). It isn’t an add on/template issue… any suggestions?

It isn’t an add on/template issue… any suggestions?
I don't understand exactly what you did, but to me it sounds a bit like you've completely outsourced the database, eg it is no longer in the same LAN as your webserver.

Queries a very critical to latency, you really want to have the DB "as close as possible" to your webserver (well, i fact the server that runs PHP, this does not necessarily have to be the webserver).

If it is a few hops away it would have to be expacted that things will slow down significantly.

Last edited:
I don't understand exactly what you did, but to me it sounds a bit like you've completely outsourced the database, eg it is no longer in the same LAN as your webserver.

Queries a very critical to latency, you really want to have the DB "as close as possible" to your webserver (well, i fact the server that runs PHP, this does not necessarily have to be the webserver) if it is a few hops away it would have to be expacted taht things will slow down significantly.
I guess I never thought about that. My dB is in Europe and website is in New Jersey USA lol

Okay, I have since moved my web hosting from NJ to the Eu to be closer to the db. The issue I’m now having is xenforo doesn’t want to load at all and throws a 500 error..

too little information to say what the problem could be. it would have been best to move the database to a cloud service provider closer to your website's home. most hosting companies also provide dedicated sql servers that could have helped in this case as both the servers would have been in the same data center.

I ended up fixing it, it was a totally separate issue from the DB. Thanks for all the help everyone!!

(since moving the forum hosting closer to the dB location, the forums are faster now!)

Top Bottom