Forums are dead

I don't use Facebook, Instagram, reddit, tiktok, etc. so I'm not familiar with them.

Do they all, have one click registration?

Or do they require a user name, email address, and password, with optional email address confirmation?

I don't use Facebook, Instagram, reddit, tiktok, etc. so I'm not familiar with them.

Or do they require a user name, email address, and password, with optional email address confirmation?

I can't give you an absolute, authoritative answer because I don't use most of those particular sites either. What I can say from experience is there are a lot of sites and services that are implementing a one click registration process based on the supplied details from a previous registration at another site.

There was a time when I would jump through hoops to register on a forum or site and I might even make a couple of attempts to checkbox all the images contain traffic lights or take a guess at the capital of the Tombouctou region of Mali... but not anymore. Even I have better things to do with my time.

My point; if forum owners genuinely want to attract younger generations they need to streamline the registration process.

In the past when I wanted to look for an answer for something, I would search "question forum". Now what I do is "question reddit". There are still some niche forums that I still visit but it's becoming less and less.

Reddit is just easier to find answers since every subreddit looks the same, it's easy to navigate, and there are subreddits(niche forums) for every topic you can imagine.

In the past when I wanted to look for an answer for something, I would search "question forum". Now what I do is "question reddit". There are still some niche forums that I still visit but it's becoming less and less.

Reddit is just easier to find answers since every subreddit looks the same, it's easy to navigate, and there are subreddits(niche forums) for every topic you can imagine.

It's only my impression but i find the interface of reddit a little bit confusing and I'm not comfortable with it.

All of them require this.

Or, you use one previously registered service, like FB, or Gmail, or something similar. Just like Xenforo. So, on most sites, if you want, you have single sign on (I use Google, not FB for my site).

But, I think that most people apply time and effort if they think it is worth it. So, we come to question if people think that someones forum is worth of their effort. In most situations, they think it isn't.

It's only my impression but i find the interface of reddit a little bit confusing and I'm not comfortable with it.
I totally don't get reddit. Maybe it works for some, but I can't get it. How to find something there is totally unclear to me.

But, as I said, I never needed anything from reddit, so I didn't made effort to understand how it works. It's that simple. I don't need reddit, so I don't use it.

When I initially encountered reddit I had the same reaction with it's interface but it grew on me. There is a lot of informative stuff on there and also a lot of trash. It's basically a gigantic forum.

Reddit becomes great once you've subscribed to enough subreddits to ensure your feed is packed with stuff that you want to see.

I'm subbed to 340 subreddits now 😳

I'm at the point where I really need to start making sub-multi reddit feeds for specific topics. But I really can't be arsed to go through 340 subreddits and split them out to different filters.

I can't stand the new reddit UI, so I still use old.reddit.com, which doesn't look pretty. But is way more usable and faster than the current UI.

There's a ton of 3rd party native mobile apps for reddit too, which are way better than the default app. I recommend Apollo if you want to try one.

Pretty much, when using login with Fbook, google, apple etc. But you still have to select usernames.

Most are pretty much on a par with normal forum registration tbh, I don't think that's a major issue these days in the whole forums vs other social sites debate. I think the key with some of them is the ability to one click sub to content within the platform once your on it.

Eg. One click subscribe to a youtube channel, facebook group, tiktokker, insta account, subreddit. You then end up with a much better content feed.

Reddit doesn't actually require an email address at all. Although the current registration flow kind of hides that fact. I don't think I've ever received an email from reddit as I never signed up with one (just push notifications from the app)

Reddit becomes great once you've subscribed to enough subreddits to ensure your feed is packed with stuff that you want to see.

I'm subbed to 340 subreddits now 😳

I'm at the point where I really need to start making sub-multi reddit feeds for specific topics. But I really can't be arsed to go through 340 subreddits and split them out to different filters.

I can't stand the new reddit UI, so I still use old.reddit.com, which doesn't look pretty. But is way more usable and faster than the current UI.

There's a ton of 3rd party native mobile apps for reddit too, which are way better than the default app. I recommend Apollo if you want to try one.
Huge fan of Reddit here and IMO there's a few things Xenforo (or any message board for that matter) could take away from them. Their automatic moderation does a great job of keeping threads clean, I have searched high and low here but cannot find a mod that does it.

Essentially, it allows the community to upvote or downvote, if a comment is downvoted enough it then goes to the bottom in collapsed form. It can still be replied to but takes a concerted effort for people to do so. If you are a good contributing member it will show, if one is a troll who wants to complain about everything the system takes care of it. It has it's ups and downs but overall it works well.

The other is the awards system, which is heavily used there. There are a few addons here for awards but none that allow for users to gain their own points and then give out awards to other users based on what they've earned, you can also purchase points if you like. IMO this would be huge if someone were to develop it.

Allowing users to pay for awards or thanks to other users for great content, while allowing the site admin to retain a cut would be killer.

Reddit now does this with their awards, Youtube does this with their thank button.

EDIT: Creators don't actually get any money on reddit with awards, just the site badges. On YouTube they actually get the money, with YT taking a cut. That would be great for people how create high quality guides or other content that could be really valuable to forums.

It would also give admins more revenue to pay all those XF renewal fees without a moments hesitation ;)

1628018451545.png

1628018489748.png

Last edited:
It looks like it would be possible to implement something like the YouTube system using Stipe's direct charges system

A user links their Stripe account with their forum account.
Their forum account could have a permission to be able to accept 'Thanks' donations for their content. (Maybe you have to be a premium member to be able to receive thank donations)
Other users thank other forum members for their content using monetary donations via credit card or even apple pay through Stripe and a thanks button next to posts or other content on the site.
The site (platform) takes their 'application-fee' cut, which could be a per site ACP setting percentage amount.
The remaining amount gets immediately transferred to the Stripe account of the user who submitted content to the site, allowing both the users and admin to generate revenue.
You could also have digital badges and stats associated with how much thanks a user has received for extra site 'clout' or rep.

For reference, YouTube takes a 30% cut of any donations made in this manner, with the rest going to the content creator.
Twitch takes 50%
buymeacoffee.com takes a 5% cut.
Patreon takes between 5-12% base fee, plus payment processing, with some other potential fees on top.

Last edited:
Urgh...
Am not a fan of Reddit nor their moderation of their platform.

Also i don't do all social media. Just the ones i like to use.

1998 - 2005 (7 years): from news reader to state of the art looking www forum software vbulletin 3
2014 - 2021 (7 years): xenforo 1 to xenforo 2

xenforo is by far the best forum software, I just think lots of stuff has changed over the last years and I want the latest stuff. I didn't want a news reader in 2005, even if it is the best one.

I know, some stuff is more sophisticated now, like Similar Threads was just an vbulletin RSS feed of 5 latest threads of the same forum put below thread posts. But there is lots of opportunity to improve the forum. My suggestion from like 7 years ago to first let users create content than actually register them ("sunken cost" effect if you studied business) is actually now in core xenforo - pretty awesome!

2014 - 2021 (7 years): xenforo 1 to xenforo 2
I am more familiar with xenforo 2 now after a few days and I want to express that I am very happy with it and am surprised about new features that might improve SEO a lot.

Also the design is on point. It's why I bought vbulletin 3 and that's why xenforo really shines!

Top Bottom