XF 1.1 Forum very slow running again

mrGTB

When I first installed the Beta versions of XenForo 1.1, I think it was the Beta 3 version that give me a lot of trouble very slow running. Lot's a time-outs when trying to save template changes and the community just ran dog slow generally all round.

When I updated from Beta 3 to 4 and onwards to RC versions. The forum ran great, fast and no complaints at all. Recently I decided to do a clean install of XenForo 1.1 Final (I removed the updated one to it). Now for days things have been running just like Beta 3 did before, really slow loading pages and I'm getting time-outs again saving templates at times. At first I thought maybe server was having one of those off days, but this is now 3-4 days later and nothing has really changed there. The forum is running slow 90% of the time, way too slow. I'm getting no error logs, so there doesn't seem to be anything going on there. But moving to XenForo 1.1 Final (doing a clean install) feels like taking a step backwards using Beta 3 again.

That's really the peril of being on a shared server -- especially if they haven't configured things (MySQL mostly) correctly/ideally.

I understand that Shared Hosting is not ideal, but the thing is though Mike. The forum was running fast when jumping from Beta 3 to Beta 4, the difference was very obvious and remained that way moving into RC versions e.t.c. So I don't get why now all of a sudden, and doing a clean install recently using XenForo 1.1. Final. Why things seem to have reverted back to how it was before using Beta 3. I do use File Cache there as well for back-end to help speed things up.

Kier, I'm not sure what you mean. I can access phpMyAdmin. Sorry, I get you now. No I'm on shared hosting so don't have that kind of access to files.

My point is that you're at the mercy of everything else going on with the server, so you can't really make changes and do independent testing. There are a bunch of variables that you have no control over.

If you upgrade software and simultaneously the load goes up for an unrelated matter, it may look like your upgrade was the cause. Depending on the server, the file cache may even slow things down.

I will say that there is no real difference between the RC and stable version. There are very few small changes, let alone sizable ones that would make a load difference.

Fair enough, I'll just have see how things go then. I've just been looking at the server resource usage tool in cPanel and nothing has been reported as going over for the last 24 hours. Not like Beta 3 did when I was seeing site limits enforced because resources hit max limit around 12-24 times a day. CPU meter look fine also, it's currently read 0/100%. So that's not even spiking high right now because of other server users on same box. But the site is crawling.

Top Bottom