XF 1.2 Forum Moderators

LuvMeSumZen

I am doing my best to keep a positive attitude about learning this confusing matrix of user/group/node permissions when trying to allow specific perms for specific groups and/or users, but it's really starting to get to me. I've yet to have a conversation with anyone who truly understands them. Even when I search topics here I can rarely get an specific answer. I get bits and pieces from numerous threads at best, but it never seems to come together for me. I guess I am venting, but it's more of an explanation of why I'm asking so many questions about permissions. I guess the only way for me to learn this maze is to keep asking the same dumb questions over and over until I finally get it, if y'all don't run me off first.

My latest head-banging exercise is trying to assign a user as a moderator to only specific forums whether a single or multiple forums. I've literally spent 2 hours trying to accomplish it and nothing I do seems to work. I finally got to the point where it looks like the only way to do it is to set their permissions for each and every foprum. If this is the only way it's an extremely inefficient way for a board that has many forums and wants to assign different users to moderate each one. Is this the only way to do it, by using the node perms in each and every forum, for each and every intended moderator?

Admin->Users->Moderators (on the sidebar)->Create New Moderator->Enter the username, select type->Set permissions->save

Done :)

You can also add moderators by going to the node tree and clicking the 'Add Moderator' link next to the relevant node.

Also, if you need help understand the permissions more, start a PC with me ;)

Do that for each node you want them to moderator :)

Liam

What I'm trying to do right now is remove global moderator permissions from two moderators and assign them to one forum each. They are already in the moderator list but I see no way to assign them to one forum only.

What I'm trying to do right now is remove global moderator permissions from two moderators and assign them to one forum each. They are already in the moderator list but I see no way to assign them to one forum only.

Are they in the Super Moderator section? Click the red cross to the right of their usernames to remove them as a moderator, then re-add them using the Create New Moderator button, and set the forum you want them to moderate. If you want them to moderate multiple forums, keep on adding them with that button, with each forum :)

Liam

I have a separate UG for them called Section Moderators so they can be distiguished apart from global mods with the banners and of course perms etc. - but I admittedly do not know if I have created a conflict between the two groups.

If you have them in a separate user group with moderator permissions, they apply globally. When you click "Add Moderator" there's the option to set node specific permissions, those are the ones you need to set (and not globally in the user group).

I have a separate UG for them called Section Moderators so they can be distiguished apart from global mods with the banners and of course perms etc. - but I admittedly do not know if I have created a conflict between the two groups.

In that usergroup, in the general moderator permissions & forum moderator permissions, are they set to Allow or not set? They apply globally, so if they are set to allow, then they may act as super moderators.

The same for other usergroups they're members of.

Okay I will need a few minutes to try and follow the advice, many of the perm types yopu're mentioning seem similar and I need to look again and make sure I am doing exactly as y'all are advising thanks for the great support will be back in a few minutes . . . .

How would I sort of "start from scratch" on resetting a registered user to have full user permissions but only moderator permissions for a certain forum? Where would I begin a step-by-step process to ensure I have no conflicts?

Eureka! Okay I got somewhere now. I know I have the mod perms set like I want and I think all the user perms are correct. Thanks for the help guys I'll come back and pester you for something else later. :-)

Top Bottom