XF 2.1 Forum IDs are high

Dragonfruit

I first noticed this with the "Imported content" node which was well over 700, but I thought XF placed that in to avoid conflicting with existing forum IDs being imported from vBulletin.

I just tried to create a new node for the first time on XF, and it's mid 700s. While all the normal forum IDs are way below 3 digits. Is there a way to reset the number it's generating new node IDs from? It shouldn't even be close to 100.

Why? IDs don't really matter as the URLs will be different anyway (unless you migrated from vBulletin with vBSEO/DBSeo that had the exact URL structure as XF)

Last edited:
Function no, but just for similar vanity. The number displays in the 3 digit range, it's just too high. I know we can use the route filter to fix this, but I don't want a band-aid solution that solves something in the short term. What if we're not on XF in the future? I want to use accurate, low forum IDs.

If you really want to keep IDs:
The supported solution would be to start over, eg. delete the database, files, install XF again and perform an import with the option Retain IDs enabled.

Why don't you just set custom URLs in the node settings, like this? It'd remove the node IDs from the URLs.
View attachment 229871

For the reason I just stated above, what if we're not on XF in the future for whatever reason? We don't use any friendly name or URLs. Since we came from vBulletin, we stuck to the same 'vanity' structure, where the forum ID, thread ID, member IDs are all publicly displayed.

I don't want to use something that changes the the URL/Link to what everyone has been accustomed to, and put into messages/posts/content, for it to possibly change later down the road because we changed for whatever reason and all the links redirect with the FID, not whatever vanity customization we used.

For the reason I just stated above, what if we're not on XF in the future for whatever reason? We don't use any friendly name or URLs. Since we came from vBulletin, we stuck to the same 'vanity' structure, where the forum ID, thread ID, member IDs are all publicly displayed.

I don't want to use something that changes the the URL/Link to what everyone has been accustomed to, and put into messages/posts/content, for it to possibly change later down the road because we changed for whatever reason and all the links redirect with the FID, not whatever vanity customization we used.
It wouldn't be an issue if whatever software you may decide to move to in the future has a proper redirection script available, but anyway, setting a custom URL for each node wouldn't be a "band-aid solution", and it would automatically redirect the XF URLs with the node IDs to the new, custom URLs.

It wouldn't be an issue if whatever software you may decide to move to in the future has a proper redirection script available, but anyway, setting a custom URL for each node wouldn't be a "band-aid solution", and it would automatically redirect the XF URLs with the node IDs to the new, custom URLs.

I still consider them to be band-aid fixes, I want this to use and show the clear and true ID.

There has to be an easier solution to this.
There is, it's what I mentioned, setting custom node URLs. IMO, it is pointless and pedantic to attempt to risk breaking your forum in an attempt to change the IDs without there being any functional benefit.
I still consider them to be band-aid fixes, I want this to use and show the clear and true ID.
Then redo the import, and choose the option to retain the IDs.

Again, just disappointing. When the migration was complete, all our imported forum IDs were correct. So it looked retained and I mistakenly made the assumption it would be that way for any new FID going forward. I didn't have any need to create any new nodes back then or else I of course would've noticed this.

That's confusing (at least to me).
How do you expect new IDs to be retained (from which value? They are ... new)

I also don't seem to understand what you mean by saying that the IDs were "correct", does it mean that this is currently not the case, eg. IDs changed somehow?

That's confusing (at least to me).
How do you expect new IDs to be retained (from which value? They are ... new)

I also don't seem to understand what you mean by saying that the IDs were "correct", does it mean that this is currently not the case, eg. IDs changed somehow?

Existing forums are 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, etc. They're the same forum IDs from vBulletin. But anything new created on XF are over 700.

Top Bottom