Food Fantasia

Egg nog and bread pudding :D

Mmmm nice
puke.gif

Mmmm Yummy :D The stuffing looks really nice, (stuffing is my fave part of a meal like this) and your turkey looks like it was moist and yum! Did you think the bacon helped to keep it moist?

I think I must have tried everything in the book to prevent turkey being a dry nightmare, I once did a turkey that was super nice by using a technique called "dry brine" whereby it was rubbed with a couple of tablespoons of salt, and massaged regularily for 3 days... the end result was the best turkey I have ever tried, but boy was it a lot of fuffing about! lol

Wow those potatoes look delicious too!

roasted parsnips, especially honey roasted parsnips are delicious... and a very traditional part of Christmas dinner! Should not be omitted imo! :D

I just really dislike the taste of Parsnip in general! :O

I love every other traditional roast lunch vegetable though. :)

your turkey looks like it was moist and yum! Did you think the bacon helped to keep it moist?
What you're looking at there is day-old turkey, it was much better when it was fresh!
I think I must have tried everything in the book to prevent turkey being a dry nightmare
Here's my technique, adapted from Gordon Ramsay:
  1. Make some delicious lemon and garlic butter (about 100g would be good) and allow it to soften.
  2. Carefully tease the skin away from the breast of the turkey using your hands. Don't allow your hands to meet, you need to make four 'pockets' of exposed breast meat.
  3. Using your hands, spread generous quantities of the butter onto the flesh under the skin.
  4. Spread the rest of the butter onto the outside of the skin.
  5. Place the turkey into a roasting tin and sit a couple of halved onions and a halved lemon next to it.
  6. Season the turkey well, and drizzle over some olive oil.
  7. Put the turkey into a pre-heated oven at 220C for 10-15 minutes to crisp the skin.
  8. Remove the turkey, baste it with the juices in the baking tray then and spread smoked streaky bacon over the breast to protect it. Baste again, over the bacon.
  9. Put the turkey back into the oven at 180C and cook for the normal 30 minutes per kilo, basting every 20-30 minutes.
  10. Once the turkey is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest for as long as you cooked it. Yes, you'll be resting it for several hours. Don't worry about it going cold (it won't) and you can restore piping heat with your gravy.
Wow those potatoes look delicious too!
They were :)

What you're looking at there is day-old turkey, it was much better when it was fresh!

Here's my technique, adapted from Gordon Ramsay:
  1. Make some delicious lemon and garlic butter (about 100g would be good) and allow it to soften.
  2. Carefully tease the skin away from the breast of the turkey using your hands. Don't allow your hands to meet, you need to make four 'pockets' of exposed breast meat.
  3. Using your hands, spread generous quantities of the butter onto the flesh under the skin.
  4. Spread the rest of the butter onto the outside of the skin.
  5. Place the turkey into a roasting tin and sit a couple of halved onions and a halved lemon next to it.
  6. Season the turkey well, and drizzle over some olive oil.
  7. Put the turkey into a pre-heated oven at 220C for 10-15 minutes to crisp the skin.
  8. Remove the turkey, baste it with the juices in the baking tray then and spread smoked streaky bacon over the breast to protect it. Baste again, over the bacon.
  9. Put the turkey back into the oven at 180C and cook for the normal 30 minutes per kilo, basting every 20-30 minutes.
  10. Once the turkey is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest for as long as you cooked it. Yes, you'll be resting it for several hours. Don't worry about it going cold (it won't) and you can restore piping heat with your gravy.
They were :)

Thanks for that, wow, rest for as long as it cooked, that is a new one on me... might give it a go sometime!

If you can ever be bothered, you should try the dry brining, it is amazing result, not at all salty, but the turkey turns out just brilliantly, the only problem is the 3 days of massaging LOL

You basically take a large plastic bag, an unprocessed or "enhanced" turkey (we had an organic free range one) and add 1/2 tablespoon of salt per Kilogram (1/4 per pound) of weight, and seal the bag, then massage the salt into the bird for about 10 minutes, then refrigerate, repeat (EDIT- repeat the massaging.. not the salt addition!!! Just the massaging) at least 3 times per day for 3-4 days.

The salt initially draws the liquid out, but then it is re-absorbed, after your turkey has had a 3-4 spa holiday, cook as per usual, and the end result is heavenly!

Top Bottom