Lack of interest "following the link below" phrase

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

ActorMike

I know you can change the phrase for user_email_confirmation_body_html , but what exactly does "you need to confirm your account by following the link below." mean anyway? I've been using the internet since 1990, I've never heard anyway say "follow a link". I think you were confusing it with Twitter?

Definitely could cause user confusion there, the proper terminology is "click the link below"

Mike

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I know you can change the phrase for user_email_confirmation_body_html , but what exactly does "you need to confirm your account by following the link below." mean anyway? I've been using the internet since 1990, I've never heard anyway say "follow a link". I think you were confusing it with Twitter?

Definitely could cause user confusion there, the proper terminology is "click the link below"

Mike
And if it's in a web interface in a spam folder, typically "clicking the link below" will do you no good. You would have to copy the link below and paste it.
Follow the link below was pretty self explanatory to me. Follow indicates being led to a predetermined location. I guess you could just say "Please use the below provided URL (by clicking on it or pasting it into your browser address bar) to confirm your account".

As an aside - I see the use of "follow the link" frequently.

what exactly does "you need to confirm your account by following the link below." mean anyway? I've been using the internet since 1990, I've never heard anyway say "follow a link". I think you were confusing it with Twitter?
Not a native speaker here, but we have the exact same way of saying in German, so I just googled to be sure that it's not just my contorted feeling. "follow the link" (with quotes) brings up > 69 million hits in google. So people do seem to use it quite frequently.

Top Bottom