Lack of interest Fix the reply and multiquote buttons

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Black Tiger

I was wondering why users often used full quotes, which in fact is not done.
Now I discovered why that is.

Xenforo is using bad english for the buttons. The "reply" button is in fact the "quote" button for the full post.
But reply means "answer" and not "quote", so no wonder this generates misunderstandings.

Probably this is done because of the +quote button next to it, so you don't get +quote and quote next to each other. But it's bad English.
Further more this is also inconsistent with the "post reply" button in the quickreply window, which like it should, indeed sends the written reply.

So my suggestion is to by default (I know I can probably do it in the language files) change this text to Quote or Quotereply so it's clear this is not a simple reply but a "quote full post" option.
And for example change the +quote to +mquote (for multi quote).

Or remove it fully, because the multiquote button in fact does the same.

Reply is not quote.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Well... multiquote can come in handy sometimes one needs some kind of quote options and I already use a mod to keep the "reply" button away from first and last post. Yesterday I renamed the button.
But it's just incorrect English and confusing.
That's why I think the reply button should be renamed by default to something else like Fquote or quotereply.

I'm from the old days and in vB we had quote and reply, if you disabled the quickreply window, the reply button would give a big blank reply field. When quickreply was on, it did the same.
On IPB you don't even have something like this, neither does PHPbb nobody uses reply as full quote. There is quote button, but reply=answer not quote.

So it works confusing because it's incorrect by default and you can do the same with the multiquote.

Yes, me too, but again, I'm not looking on how to solve the confusing, I already did. Otherwise I had asked in the support section. ;)

I'm putting in a feature request to fix this by default, because it's incorrect english and confusing, it should be called reply.
You're way of rewording is also a good example. Might be best if it's done like that by default, this way it says one word, so thank you for the input.

The reply on a post is referencing the post you are replying to. The one at the bottom is replying to the thread in general.

Last edited:
I understand the functionality, but that doesn't change that it's incorrect Enlish.
There still is a big difference in the meaning of quoting and replying.

And like I said, the multiquote button does the same thing as the reply button, except you can quote more posts with it. Makes the reply button used in this way obsolete anyway.

Anyway, nobody is required/obligated to upvote the request. If you don't agree with me, that's a free choice.

The more I look into this, the more I do find it is confusing. Relying on the tooltip to clarify doesn't work (a) it's a bit hidden and (b) not seen at all mobile devices.

But it's a problem as being explicit in the link would look very cluttered, ie

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 18.15.58.webp

Anyway, nobody is required/obligated to upvote the request. If you don't agree with me, that's a free choice.
I haven't had any users complain. But there's a lot of language I already changed. I call messages posts and I use the term DM. I don't think XF will see this as something to change. They still call the forum a board.

Last edited:
I agree that the word "Reply" is at least ambiguous as to the quoting function the button will perform. After all this discussion, will someone please describe in this thread how to change the word "Reply" to a different word.

will someone please describe in this thread how to change the word "Reply" to a different word.
There were already a few suggestions. Quotereply, Quote, Fquote, or juist Quote and change the +quote to multi or leave out the Reply totally because the +quote can do exactly the same.

I very much like the option @z3r010 was giving.

So I don't quite understand your question as several options on to how to change the word are given. Can just be done via sligth adjustment the English translation.

I agree that the word "Reply" is at least ambiguous as to the quoting function the button will perform. After all this discussion, will someone please describe in this thread how to change the word "Reply" to a different word.
There were already a few suggestions. Quotereply, Quote, Fquote, or juist Quote and change the +quote to multi or leave out the Reply totally because the +quote can do exactly the same.

I very much like the option @z3r010 was giving.

So I don't quite understand your question as several options on to how to change the word are given. Can just be done via sligth adjustment the English translation.

I didn't ask what word to change "Reply" to. I asked how (technically) a techno-rube admin such as myself can change a button's name. I don't know how to do it.

I just changed "Reply" to "Quote" and "Quote" to "Multi" in the English language.
Admin Panel -> Appearance -> Languages and phrases.

Thank you. I did not catch or understand the references to "language files" in the prior posts. I can see the words "reply" and "quote" in the list of Phrases, which I never looked at before. What's still not clear to me is if I change the Phrase Text for one of these words -- say, "reply" -- whether that changes the word "reply" in text places other than just the button under discussion.

Top Bottom