First Install: 2.1 Beta or 2.0.11?

frm

Looking to install XenForo 2 and start from scratch.

With the 'one-click' upgrade in 2.1, is it suggested to run a 2.1 beta in a private production until fully developed for public release or would you install 2.0.11 and setup from there? It seems as if by the time I get the production running, 2.1 will have all the third-party addons that I need supported. I'm only concerned about the theme that I purchased at the moment, but it isn't a deal breaker as I need to familiarize myself with XF first, above and beyond what the demo gave me -- so 2.1 beta or 2.0.11?

Also, I turned off .htaccess because they're a drag. I tried getting nginx to work for me without avail so I reverted to what I knew best and it's working. How many .htaccess files are there for XenForo to throw into the httpd conf? And does each addon (for the most part) include its own .htaccess? I'm still a novice, so I hope my terminolgy used is understandable for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Mentally preparing before purchase, so I don't expect much more than "yes", "no" or basic forum owner suggestion due to not seeking technical support at the moment.

i recomended 2.0.11 then after release stable version go to 2.1
Even if I'm merely setting up the forum for a release TBD (1+ month out)? Would the upgrade from 2.0.11 to 2.1 be difficult or is it as simple as uploading/replacing files and minor database tweaks (hopefully automated)? Thanks.

its a simple upgrade
Thanks, just not used to this platform besides the demo (worked with vB3/vB4). I will take this into consideration and get to it this weekend.

Would you have any knowledge on the .htaccess situation? Are there these files per directory in main XF and do addons have them as well? I'm wondering how I'll be able to export those rules into the virtualhost setup to retain speed, but this seems more of a technical issue.

Yes there is an .htaccess file in the install but I believe it's only required if you use friendly URLs, which is probably good to have in most cases. By default the htaccess is disabled (ie it is named htaccess.txt) and needs enabling by renaming.

(I also use the htaccess to force non www and https, plus a few redirects from a previous vbulletin)

Any kind of upgrade for XF is easy and seamless. Upload files, click on upgrade, wait, done.

Now with 2.1 we don't even have to upload the files manually anymore for the official XF software packages (addons are not a part of this).

So don't worry about upgrades. If you start from scratch with a new database, I would start with the 2.1.
Get familar with it, configure everything and wait for addon devs to release compatible versions for 2.1 and install them.

If you now start with 2.0 and install addons and buy addons, maybe you won't be able to use them for a long time. As you start from the scratch, better start with the highest option.

With that timeframe really it’s up to you. Obviously 2.1 will only get more stable as time goes on. I’m not promising it will be ready in time for you launching but it shouldn’t be too far away.

If you now start with 2.0 and install addons and buy addons, maybe you won't be able to use them for a long time.

But it's easy enough to check before installing.

Out of about 12 Addons, only one of mine (Content ratings by Xon) is not yet compatible. And as that feature is now available in core 2.1. it may be moot unless you particularly wanted the extra feature's of Xon's (very fine) addon.

But it's easy enough to check before installing.

Out of about 12 Addons, only one of mine (Content ratings by Xon) is not yet compatible. And as that feature is now available in core 2.1. it may be moot unless you particularly wanted the extra feature's of Xon's (very fine) addon.
Yeah, fair enough but why risk it?
2.1 offers more than 2.0 and the advantages outweigh too much not to go with 2.1.
So why bother with 2.0 at all?
Sure 2.1 is in the beta stage and it may not have a stable release for a month or two, but I'd rather spend time with the beta and test the new things out while my site is not online anyway, rather than going with 2.0 and going online with it. Then you will need another extra time to get accustomed to 2.1 and check if everything is compatible. That time he could spend now instead of later.

Yes there is an .htaccess file in the install but I believe it's only required if you use friendly URLs, which is probably good to have in most cases. By default the htaccess is disabled (ie it is named htaccess.txt) and needs enabling by renaming.
Hopefully it's easy to understand these and move them into the main httpd conf so I don't need to use .htaccess in the main directory. But, we'll see as time goes on (obviously, tech support after the purchase and license is verified). Though, it does seem promising.
Now with 2.1 we don't even have to upload the files manually anymore for the official XF software packages (addons are not a part of this).
This is a feature I am looking forward to and is my main concern right now with 2.0.11 vs. 2.1 beta for practice. It's so easy doing it with WordPress that I couldn't imagine going back to older versions and doing this manually. This implementation is awesome to hear, especially getting into it at this time.
With that timeframe really it’s up to you. Obviously 2.1 will only get more stable as time goes on. I’m not promising it will be ready in time for you launching but it shouldn’t be too far away.
I don't expect it to be another 1-3 months before everything is setup, but, there will be some heavy mods I'm waiting on to fully support 2.1. Though, I'll ask those developers privately. With how fast 2.1 has been developing, I think this fits my timeline as there's no real rush and I'm looking at hiring for custom addons as well (nothing fits).
Good to know. I know that a couple, right now, aren't from following other developers. Though, not a big problem because I'm taking it one day at a time and I know that it'll eventually be supported. Setting the nodes, etc., for proper UX and usability is my main focus in the beginning and that'll be the most time consuming, I think.
Sure 2.1 is in the beta stage and it may not have a stable release for a month or two, but I'd rather spend time with the beta and test the new things out while my site is not online anyway, rather than going with 2.0 and going online with it. Then you will need another extra time to get accustomed to 2.1 and check if everything is compatible. That time he could spend now instead of later.
This is really where I'm stuck at. I don't know why I'd start a forum from scratch with 2.0.11 and eventually add supported addons to merely add more work weeks later before final launch, essentially doubling my workload, when I can just add an addon and fully test it before moving onto the next in a 2.1.

It seems like it's a good split between starting out with 2.1 and 2.0.11 and I feel as if at this time a 2.1 install would be best to initially build the forum, install the theme, add the nodes to make it into a forum and by then, add one supported addon, configure it, and move on to the next as they're released as there's no real rush here.

I don't expect it to be another 1-3 months before everything is setup, but, there will be some heavy mods I'm waiting on to fully support 2.1. Though, I'll ask those developers privately. With how fast 2.1 has been developing, I think this fits my timeline as there's no real rush and I'm looking at hiring for custom addons as well (nothing fits).
It sounds like starting with 2.1 should fit nicely.

Good luck with it :)

This is a feature I am looking forward to and is my main concern right now with 2.0.11 vs. 2.1 beta for practice. It's so easy doing it with WordPress that I couldn't imagine going back to older versions and doing this manually. This implementation is awesome to hear, especially getting into it at this time.
Again, there needs to be no concern at all, even if you go with the 2.0 release. It is just a simple drag and drop to your preferred FTP program (FileZilla WinSCP). Then in the Admin area you 1 click to install it. Now we won't have to drag and drop the stuff, convenient but nothing groundbreaking. The old system was fine too.

I feel as if at this time a 2.1 install would be best to initially build the forum, install the theme, add the nodes to make it into a forum and by then, add one supported addon, configure it, and move on to the next as they're released as there's no real rush here.
Yeah, exactly. If you start from scratch and there is no rush, go with 2.1.

Last edited:
Hey there and welcome to Xenforo! Best forum software out there in my opinion and years of experience.
You will love it here, great community and support.

As stated above by others, both versions are good to start with. If you go with 2.0, you could upgrade later when a stable version of 2.1 is out, it's simple to do. Upgrades have always been easy with XF, so there is no need to be concerned about that. But with what you are planning to do, I would start with 2.1. The only thing is about 2.1 is that it could be buggy and is not recommended on a live forum but by time you launch your forum/site, I'm sure the team will have released a stable or near enough stable version.

Good luck!

If you plan on making your own skin and look to the forum i would say jump right to 2.1 so you don't have to risk redoing style edits again and checking it all over for edits what means wasting time. You also risk having to wait for x add-on to support 2.1 before you could upgrade where if you start with 2.1 you can just add that add-on when it becomes ready and sell it as part of your site growing and getting better to users.

when will 2.1 be stable?
When it's done. Given the current development speed I'd be somewhat surprised if it would take much longer than a few weeks to final.

Persoanlly I wouldn't start a new project based on 2.0 right now, I'd got directly for 2.1
In fact we're going to migrate one of our medium sized vBulletin 4.2 production forums (approx .2.8 million posts) to XenForo 2.1 on Tuesday if all goes well.
(Yes, I am fully aware that Betas should not be used in production and that there is no support :))

Last edited:
Top Bottom