Firefox keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Can't believe they still haven't fixed the memory leaks - it hits 1GB within half an hour even on safe mode (no extensions etc.) for me :(

If only another browser supported multiple rows of tabs - scrolling through them is a UI nightmare.

I am using FF4 and I must say I absolutely love it. Have been a dedicated FF user since Firefox 2 and I must say i never had a problem with the memory leak thing everyone keeps mentioning. For me it's always fast, responsive and the most useful thing on my computer. Often I have the browser open for days (hibernating my Laptop) and sometimes as many as 50-60 tabs on simultaneously (I have a documents section on my site, which gets pounded and have to moderate a lot sometimes...). Never an issue for me with FF.

And I must say I also like Chrome. However the thing is, i am addicted to firebug (ya, addicted!) where I am always pressing F12 on every site I go to checking this or that as how they have done this or that so I can't use chrome as my default browser.

I installed IE9 but didn't like the interface at all. I thought Microsoft would learn something from the success of Chrome, as Firefox have done. IE 9 may be microsoft's best browser yet but they failed to impress me.

On my laptop every once in a while I'll get a memory usage warning for FF. But I've never had an issue on my desktop. I'm using the latest beta version too, and love it!

Practically every problem any board member has, it's going to turn out they're using Chrome. I already hate it and I've never used it.

This.

When a problem occurs on my board the first question I ask is "what browser"

99% of the time they say "chrome" to which I tell them get firefox.

I have had a lot of problems lately with FF 3.6 - my computer keeps freezing and using all the resources.. it is getting very annoying!

browses-and-transportation-10548-1269487647-48.jpg

:P

Can't believe they still haven't fixed the memory leaks - it hits 1GB within half an hour even on safe mode (no extensions etc.) for me :(

If only another browser supported multiple rows of tabs - scrolling through them is a UI nightmare.

Unbelievable. This was my biggest concern and gripe with firefox using far too much memory and I still can't believe it will still persist. Firefox = Becoming highly annoying.

I use both Chrome and FireFox, but FF is still number one for me on the PC. Chrome is a very good choice for using with a low spec Notebook though, with it being much lighter on system resources.

My memory get up to the roof when I open several tabs. I'm using vertical tabs in order to fit more. Chrome seems better handling multiple tabs.

Using FF4 with about 20 tabs open and using 500mb of memory, never had a problem with FF both at home and work. Browser of choice and it works just as I would want it.

Using FF4 with about 20 tabs open and using 500mb of memory, never had a problem with FF both at home and work. Browser of choice and it works just as I would want it.
Same, I usually have 30+ tabs open, my sites, sites i love to visit, and a lot of youtube mainly :P and have never had a memory issue with FF 4, FF 3 on the other hand I did have that issue.

Same, I usually have 30+ tabs open, my sites, sites i love to visit, and a lot of youtube mainly :p and have never had a memory issue with FF 4, FF 3 on the other hand I did have that issue.
This, never had any issues, unless I'm spamming youtube movies like crazy. But IE gets terrible with just a few youtube movies, so it's doing relatively way either way.

FF4 even more than FF3 can deal with a lot of youtube movies just fine. I usually have more than 20 tabs open in FF3, and even if I have FF4 open with some youtube movies at the same time, it's all going perfectly fine. FF might use quite some memory, but not up to the point that it gets annoying to me personally.

This, never had any issues, unless I'm spamming youtube movies like crazy. But IE gets terrible with just a few youtube movies, so it's doing relatively way either way.

FF4 even more than FF3 can deal with a lot of youtube movies just fine. I usually have more than 20 tabs open in FF3, and even if I have FF4 open with some youtube movies at the same time, it's all going perfectly fine. FF might use quite some memory, but not up to the point that it gets annoying to me personally.
Right now my FF 4 is using ~300MB.

Unbelievable. This was my biggest concern and gripe with firefox using far too much memory and I still can't believe it will still persist. Firefox = Becoming highly annoying.

Firefox = highly bloated. ;) I upgraded my motherboard and CPU last March when my older one failed, loaded up Win7-64 bit as the OS, installed Chrome as my primary browser and haven't looked back. It has been improving at such a rate that I see no need to change in the near future.

I don't see these complaints about Chrome, sorry. I deal with several forums that together comprise several thousand users, and many clients who I develop for who use various browsers. In my support work, I have actually had more complaints about IE than Chrome, since IE still doesn't want to follow "web standards." I rarely ever have problems with Chrome either, personally. Its JavaScript engine was tuned once again and is still the fastest out there. The sites I do have problems with are the ones who still refuse to code to web standards, and code to IE browsers only. Those, I click away from...unless it's absolutely necessary. Only then do I fire up IE, with fingers crossed.

I never reloaded Firefox when I rebuilt the computer. I don't miss the bloat and sluggish performance. If I need to check sites in FF, I usually use one of the other computers in the house. I've found replacements for the plugins I liked in FF, or have learned to do without.

Opera I just don't get. I never liked how it rendered pages, or its default tiny font size (which I could make bigger, but it always threw the formatting off). The last version I tried a couple of years ago, though, was much nicer than previous Opera browsers, and was a bit more snappy than Firefox. Opera does make a workable browser for Nintendo.

I've probably seen more browsers than some folks here. Anyone remember Cello? ;) Yes, I go that far back, and I still have a copy of it on 3-1/2" disk. I even had to use Lynx back in the mid 90s...help me!

Netscape 4.7 was one of the absolute worst browsers ever released. If you thought IE6 was bad with web standards, NS 4.7 was even worse. If I had to pick any one browser of all time that gave me the most headaches during development and support, that would be it! From wacky layout to completely missing form elements (<textarea> would sometimes disappear completely!), NS 4.7 would botch it. I got to the point where I just told users to change their browser...to anything else...to get away from NS 4.7. :D Back in its day, Netscape (around version 3) was like the Firefox or Chrome of today. It also grew more bloated, and slower...which is the way I see Firefox heading unfortunately.

In my support work, I have actually had more complaints about IE than Chrome, since IE still doesn't want to follow "web standards.
And this surprises you? For one, most people use Internet explorer. After that comes FireFox. Chrome is new, not used by too many people yet and thus you probably came across it less often. The people who have no clue about what a browser is are still using internet explorer because that's easy, it's the more experienced people who usually go with FF / Chrome. Besides that, IE is most likely the worst browser out there for several reasons. It's like comparing a new car to an old bike and say it's really good because it goes faster and your brakes don't randomly stop working. It's just not too good of a comparison.

Top Bottom