FireFox 4 Beta

I've regularly seen Firefox consume around 800MB of RAM on my system when I have lots of tabs open. Closing them does not reduce the usage - the only fix is to restart Firefox. So yeah, it can have resource problems. It's still my favorite browser though. :)

Firefox 4 feels so much snappier on my system.
I like the nightly builds of chromium on mac but I always go back to firefox.
I simply cannot work without firebug and browse without a handful of add ons

Is FF code still based on the Netscape Navigator, or has FF been rewritten from the ground up?
Seamonkey, which is also maintained by Mozilla, is the closest thing to Netscape Navigator... Sort of an "all-in-one" package that combines a browser, e-mail, etc. Much like Opera.

I've got FF beta 4 on my home machine and b5 on my work one. For some reason b5 doesn't like Facebook or GMail and doesn't let me log into the Apple Store site (checking on my iPod G4 order) yet b4 is quite happy. I don't like b5's "improved" Firefox button layout. Overall though, Firefox 4 starts and runs a heck of a lot quicker on my machines.

Seamonkey, which is also maintained by Mozilla, is the closest thing to Netscape Navigator... Sort of an "all-in-one" package that combines a browser, e-mail, etc. Much like Opera.

Navigator was the browser, Communicator was the all in one package.

Firefox 4 is actually quite impressing. The only problem i have is the first time i load Firefox as it stalls for couple seconds but after that it works pretty fast but the memory issues are not fully corrected as currently with 4 tabs and no flash firefox 4 uses 270mb ram chrome with 5 tabs uses a total of 171mb with 2 tabs having flash content

Top Bottom