• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Find users sharing the same IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke F

Another addon on request - this one gives you an extra popup dialog next to 'IP' on all posts allowing you to see all the users who have been posting from the same IP that was used to make the post. The existing 'can view IPs' permission is used.

2z-b.png

Installation:

1. Upload the contents of the 'upload' directory to your forum root.
  2. Install the addon_Duplicate.xml file
  3. In the 'post' template after:
    Code:
    <xen:if is="{$canViewIps} AND {$post.ip_id}"><a href="{xen:link posts/ip, $post}" class="item control ip OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase ip}</a></xen:if>
    Add:
    Code:
    <xen:if is="{$canViewIps} AND {$post.ip_id}"><a href="{xen:link posts/duplicate, $post}" class="item control duplicate OverlayTrigger"><span></span>{xen:phrase dark_duplicate}</a></xen:if>

Donations go here. :)

Attachments

Although such a mod should be taken with a grain of salt.
I had a mod on my vB forum that would tell me when an ip address was shared by someone else.
I found many ip addresses being shared, including my own.
For those who are curious, it's an interesting mod but honestly, I don't know what it proves.
And I don't mean to take away anything from this mod. I really don't.

I am loving it. I have used it today to find a couple people. It is like anything else, not 100% fullproof, but when you have a board as passionate as mine and people like ot pull shenanigans this helps weed them out.

I am loving it. I have used it today to find a couple people. It is like anything else, not 100% fullproof, but when you have a board as passionate as mine and people like ot pull shenanigans this helps weed them out.
That's just it. Same ip addresses can give you a false positive. Just be careful how you use your tools. :)
There is nothing wrong with using the mod. It's how you interpret the data.

It has been said before elsewhere, but often people in the same network can have single IP. For example i have a wi-fi router at home. I have 3 computers connecting to the wi-fi router which then connects to our ISP's lan. So externally all 3 computers will have the same IP. So if me and my wife are browsing this site, we will show as same IP. This is also true in many office networks.

Btw as always DI's mods are great and much appreciated, just ppl should not just go out and ban people if they see two users on same IP.

I just have to say I find the slight opposition to this mod very interesting. I am not sure if it is because some forums are very small and get their users from clusters or there is general disagreement on how best to check for duplicate users.

From my standpoint this is VERY useful, and anyone currently using XF is most likely smart enough to understand that data coming into them. A simple nice warning of 'Always remember that users could come from the same sub-net' would have sufficed. The passive agressive tone about the detriments of something like this is just silly and juvenile. If you are smart enough to be checking out XF, you are smart enough to understand what this mod allows you to check.

Installed on a forum with 1500 members, picked a random thread and check users for a test... came across one with 6 other users including my own account all sharing the IP of 75.x something. My IP is 58.x something. Not sure what to make of this, with regards to my fixed IP at least.

It's not opposition, it's wanting to help out a fellow admin from punishing someone by mistake. :)

We have 3 computers connected to our internet line, they're all very outdated dinosaur computers mind but there's still 3 of them. Our occasional tenants are allowed to access the internet through one of them and our next-door neighbour uses a second one when she needs to, my wife and I use the same terminal. but we all show up as the same user as such on the internet, I keep finding myself banned on sites through my IP and they're the first time I have visited them, it's very frustrating at times.

There is a bug with this mod. Use it with IE8 and the waiting black block appears top right and then just sits there running through its animation. Nothing else happens.
Works fine on the latest versions of FF, Chrome and IE9.

Thanks for the add-on DI, just recently installed. Not sure whether this was suggested or even if you welcome the idea but at a glance you can only view duplicate through registered members who have posted. I was wondering if you considered adding this to the registered members page? http://xenforo.com/community/members/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom