Browser issue  FF4 and small CSS problem

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
As I've been unable to reproduce this, could those reporting the problem please post again stating the following:
  • If you see the problem here on XenForo.com
  • Your operating system and version
  • Your exact Firefox version

Alien

Have you guys done a hard-refresh (CTRL-F5) also in FF 4 Final to clear the cache?

My install is completely fresh, which I do with a new major browser release. I exported my bookmarks, then did an uninstall of the previous FF and an install of the new FF. Not sure if that made any difference.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
This appears to be a bug related to Firefox 4 with older versions of Windows. A little investigation with Firebug shows that ALL triangles in Firefox 4 have a hard, uncontrollable border.

Compare the following - on the left is FF4 under Windows XP, and on the right is FF4 on Mac OS. In both cases I have used Firebug to move the inner triangle on the user info block to the left by a few pixels, and recolored it yellow.

Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 12.33.18.png

This looks like a fairly clear bug in Firefox related to Windows rendering to me. There's certainly nothing that we can do about it.

Romchik®

Kier, and what you think about this?
Code:
.breadcrumb .crust .arrow {
    -moz-border-right-colors: #a5cae4;
}
.breadcrumb .crust .arrow span {
    -moz-border-right-colors: #f0f7fc;
}
.messageUserBlock .arrow {
    -moz-border-right-colors: #d7edfc;
}
.messageUserBlock .arrow span {
    -moz-border-right-colors: #f0f7fc;
}
This fix it... :)

Steve F

Weird, I was seeing this here on XF.com and on all my styles yesterday then today all seems good. Win7 & FF4 not sure the exact version number as it is only showing version 4.0 in the "About FireFox" section.

Luke F

I have tracked it down to a bug with GDI rendering in Firefox 4, which would explain why only those with older versions of Windows see the bug.

I am on Windows 7 SP1 but have Direct2D specifically disabled via gfx.direct2d.disabled in about:config due to the horrendously bad font rendering it brings with it.

It does, but I'm reluctant to add a large amount of redundant, browser-specific CSS to fix what is clearly a browser bug that will almost certainly receive a fix from Mozilla fairly shortly.
It hasn't been fixed throughout the entire beta phase, but then again maybe it hasn't been noticed/reported. I'll see about filing a bug report later.

Alien

Unfortunate that this still occurs, on latest Firefox and latest Windows 8 RP.

There are endless Mozilla bug reports/threads about both their font problems and hardware acceleration issues and not ONE of the temporary workarounds fixes both the fonts AND the arrows.

Wish these would get fixed.