Few Questions

mad max

I am currently using IPB but very unhappy with the level of support looking at moving to Xenforo

but what do you all have to compare with IP.Content built in database's,articles, Gallery,60% of my forum is ran from IP.Content and its built in features can you all compare to this

You will rarely if ever go without the support you are wanting. This is an area (of many) that xenforo excels in and issues posted on the forum you may have will seldom go without a response.

Jeremy is currently developing a gallery (talented developer) and if memory recalls he has the help of other talented devs at his disposal so you may want to query him further with that.

Support - I've never had an issue with IPB support. Infact, I've always had superior results when using their ticket system. If you are trying to get support through the IPB forums, you will not get the same level you might get here on the XF forums (unless you get help from volunteers like Marcher, etc). That's because the ticket system is where support happens on IPB. And the level of shared volunteered knowledge on XF forums is above and beyond other related forums atm. IMHO, both platforms offer their own unique types of support.

Gallery - You might want to look into PhotoPost. They have full integration with XF. However, I don't know if they have an IP.Gallery import yet. The last time I looked, they did not have one. Which is a big downfall! Especially since IP.Gallery does not currently have bulk export to download your content without using ftp.

Articles & Databases - I have yet to find anything (incl. wordpress, drupal, joomla, expressionengine, etc) that can import IP.Content data. If you don't have an issue with adding the content by hand, you can find many cms platforms that would fill most of what IP.Content currently does and sometimes even better. However, if you don't mind having two systems (IP.Content & XF), you could always keep what you have and create the forum off from XF. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is an addon for a single sign on for IPB & XF.

Support - I've never had an issue with IPB support. Infact, I've always had superior results when using their ticket system. If you are trying to get support through the IPB forums, you will not get the same level you might get here on the XF forums (unless you get help from volunteers like Marcher, etc). That's because the ticket system is where support happens on IPB. And the level of shared volunteered knowledge on XF forums is above and beyond other related forums atm. IMHO, both platforms offer their own unique types of support.

Gallery - You might want to look into PhotoPost. They have full integration with XF. However, I don't know if they have an IP.Gallery import yet. The last time I looked, they did not have one. Which is a big downfall! Especially since IP.Gallery does not currently have bulk export to download your content without using ftp.

Articles & Databases - I have yet to find anything (incl. wordpress, drupal, joomla, expressionengine, etc) that can import IP.Content data. If you don't have an issue with adding the content by hand, you can find many cms platforms that would fill most of what IP.Content currently does and sometimes even better. However, if you don't mind having two systems (IP.Content & XF), you could always keep what you have and create the forum off from XF. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is an addon for a single sign on for IPB & XF.

well i was using the ticket system of IPB and im not impressed. Main thing keeping me there is the 3rd party coders and the fact they far more advanced

between gallery and database's that is unmatched for now ill sit back and wait and maybe X will come out with something similar til then there is no point in having 2 sing-ins cant do that. Hopefully over time X gets more advanced with mods and there software and i will make the switch when and if they can match these top features til then i cant

I know there are some addons for gallery stuff and iI don't hear much complaint about thems. One is called gallery the other albums.

I use a LOT of articles content across 5 sites.
I did commission a special addon for them which was good up to a point but never got finished so I gave up on it. It did get at least my essential articles going.

I'm now customising the Resource Manager which is working out well. You can see an example here.
http://www.housemorgain.co.uk/oval/resources/
(TEST SITE ONLY - the Articles addon is very nearly finished.)

The main issue was extending the Resource Manager to multiple page articles. That's done.
The RM does categories, reviews, ratings, author's page of listings, updates.
All Articles auto create a discussion thread unless you do not enable it for a selected Category.
Users can create Articles if their usergroup has that permission. Similarly edit, add page, delete.
On my version a single page article can do attachments. Multiple page Articles cannot but can carry them on the auto thread first post.

You'd need help beyond mine to do an import especially larger numbers.

well i was using the ticket system of IPB and im not impressed. Main thing keeping me there is the 3rd party coders and the fact they far more advanced

between gallery and database's that is unmatched for now ill sit back and wait and maybe X will come out with something similar til then there is no point in having 2 sing-ins cant do that. Hopefully over time X gets more advanced with mods and there software and i will make the switch when and if they can match these top features til then i cant

Honestly I'd suggest that whatever works for you and your end-users is always going to be what's best.

I like XF & IPB. But, they are definitely not the same. Each one has it's pros and cons. It all comes down to what your website needs are and what you want to offer your end-users.

As far as support...if all else fails, I'd raise the issue in the forums and see if someone can offer some help.

Good luck!

Top Bottom