Few questions; Community hosting

kriskno

Hey,

I have a community with a variety of different games/servers. Each of these games/servers are considered "sub-communities", they don't necessarily have anything to do with eachother.

I was looking through this software and got a few questions in regards to that.

1. I want each server to have the appearance as if they are a single instance forum. Meaning they'd resolve their own URL, e.g. http://csgo.mycommunity.com would go to their assigned forum (sub-forum of the main XF forum) and then hopefully topics/links underneath would resolve to http://csgo.mycommunity.com/index.php?f=1&t=12 or whatever the url standards are here. Is this possible?

2. (Question 1 follow-up): Is this in violation of license, seeing we want all users to be able to access all servers' forums, but we want each forum to appear as if it's an own instance (avoid a lot of clutter from other servers that the clients/players doesn't really care about.)

3. Each server has it's own Manager/Management, I'd like to give them as much power as possible for their forum&sub-forums, including user management (adding moderators to various sections of their forums) but at the same time I don't want server A/forum A's managers/management to have permissions to touch server B/forum B's permissions, moderation or reading or anything.

Essentially if you're familar with the steam groups, I want each "sub-community" to be a part of the greater community, have their user access, but at the same time I want each server manager to have autonomy of their servers & affiliated forums.

Previously we've operated with a single phpBB forum for each, steam group forums for others and so forth. I'd like to gather everything to have a greater community and more userfriendly as many players who plays on one community server tends to play on another. This would also make it easier to maintain and run for the community management.

Sorry if this should be obvious already and thanks for input.

As far as multiple instances are concerned, this is from the pre-sales FAQ:

Can multiple domains or subdomains be used with a single license?
Yes, as long as the domains or subdomains all resolve to the same installation, all of the content is available at every domain or subdomain, and there is no attempt to make them appear as separate installations.

As you want to completely isolate each instance, it would require a separate license for each one.

In addition, to complete separate the administration in the ACP, it would actually need to be separate installs.

So I cannot use this software to set up the solution for multiple sub-communities as defined above then? Multiple instalations and licenses is out of the question as that'd mean multiple userbases/people needing to register everywhere; which beats the entire purpose of moving from separate phpBB/steamgroup installatinos in the first place.

If you don't want Administrator A to be able to modify the nodes (forums) for installation B, access the members in the ACP, nor access the server files, it would require separate installations.

Well, there may be some add-ons that help you administer what effectively appears to be multiple installations under one umbrella installation. However, if you're changing content or other things based on the URL and keeping them effectively separate, that would require a license per.

Top Bottom