Few questions before buying a XenForo license. (total newbie)

eskuAdradit0

Hello to everyone.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if it is not, please move this thread to the correct subforum.

Anyway, I sort of have a "community" in Facebook where competitive gaming is discussed, and given the fact that we're too many people now, things are getting confusing so we need to move to a website.
I'm most familiar with XenForo due to that other competitive gaming-related forums use XF (Decerto.net, Testyourmight.com, euesports.com, etc), so going for XF is practically a no-brainer for me/us.

However, I have zero experience when it comes to websites and purchasing forum licenses and such, so I need as much help as possible on this one:
- Should I purchase the domain and web hosting on local suppliers? Or is there any recommendations you can give us on web hosting solutions and such? I've read that XenForo has specifications, so I wouldn't want to purchase a uncompatible service.

Please bare in mind that we live in Peru (south america), so I don't even know if it's possible for me to purchase web hosting from the states.

All we're looking for is to look more professional, have a easy-to-manage forum and have a more organized community. We also do not need anything too fancy as we're a small community by now (although it's quite possible that more people may join us, which is the main idea behind the website).

If any of you could help us explaining the domain/web hosting things about XF, it would be great.

Cheers.

Yes you need to buy a domain and some hosting space.
The domain is the NAME of your site. This site is "xenforo.com"
Hosting is the physical "shelf space" where you put the stuff on your site.

You need to check they do MySQL and PHP5. Any good hosting company does that.

I run several small communities and I found XF is ideal. You don't need to be clever at website work. There are people here to help and they really do.
You can also pay a moderate fee to have it set up for you.

One word of warning. When you look at a company if they sell you the hosting space and say you get a "free" domain name - CHECK. Often this means that THEY own the domain name. That means if you want to change to another company they force you to pay a fat fee to get the domain name to go with you. It's to stop you leaving.

I've used Siteground in the past. Their support is quick and you get plenty of space.
Waindigo who is a member here can also help you set up including the name and space. Not free though.
You could also try contacting Fuhrmann as he's in S America might know a good company there and he's very experienced at XF.

When you said "local suppliers" you mean hosting/domain services in Perú? You should avoid them if you want to live a healthly life! haha (I'm from Perú too), for domains I like godaddy, If you're looking for a cheap/well-known shared hosting, hostgator and justhost are acceptable, maybe siteground too if you use the promo for 11.00USD/year.

Actually I manage 2 forums with vBulletin 4.x, but since I saw vB5.0 I'm thinking to move to Xenforo (I'm waiting for january and a very good news to do that). Xenforo is the best choice if you're running out from facebook.

Saludos.

When you said "local suppliers" you mean hosting/domain services in Perú? You should avoid them if you want to live a healthly life! haha (I'm from Perú too), for domains I like godaddy, If you're looking for a cheap/well-known shared hosting, hostgator and justhost are acceptable, maybe siteground too if you use the promo for 11.00USD/year.

Actually I manage 2 forums with vBulletin 4.x, but since I saw vB5.0 I'm thinking to move to Xenforo (I'm waiting for january and a very good news to do that). Xenforo is the best choice if you're running out from facebook.

Saludos.
Oh you probably mean FP and PH.
What I'm wondering is:
which services should I purchase from hostgator/justhost/siteground in order for it to be compatible with XenForo? I don't wanna buy a cheap host that's not compatible with XF/is too slow.
How am I supposed to "install" the client on the host? <--- zero experience here.

And yeah, I figured that the "suppliers" here in Peru are just resellers.

You can host xenforo on pretty much any hostgator package, pending your forum size you may need to upgrade as your site activity grows.

If you want to use something like the elastic search addon you will need a vps as you will need a bump in resources and the ability to get into the shell to install elastic search components.

When you say client, I assume you mean xenforo? If that is the case it is very simple and if you can't manage it yourself there are plenty of people here who offer installation services. If money is an issue there I can walk you through it when it comes to that time...just shoot me a convo msg to my inbox.

Welcome to the spot...make yourself at home.

I think all those hostings are compatible with XenForo. The first thing you need to know is about Cpanel (your hosting control panel): you can upload files (zip, and unzip files too), create a MySQL database using a wizard, and a lot of things.

1.To install almost any product the first thing you need to do is create a database, so you will have a "database user" "database user password" and "database name".
2.Upload the product to your hosting, using FTP or CPanel file manager (I like this last one because I can manage the zip files)
3.If the product that you uploaded is in /product folder go to http://mydomain/product/ or sometimes http://mydomain/product/install/install.php and follow the wizard steps, well you should read the readme file.

Nope, ryohnosuke.com and inkatech.net

Saludos.

You can host xenforo on pretty much any hostgator package, pending your forum size you may need to upgrade as your site activity grows.

If you want to use something like the elastic search addon you will need a vps as you will need a bump in resources and the ability to get into the shell to install elastic search components.

When you say client, I assume you mean xenforo? If that is the case it is very simple and if you can't manage it yourself there are plenty of people here who offer installation services. If money is an issue there I can walk you through it when it comes to that time...just shoot me a convo msg to my inbox.

Welcome to the spot...make yourself at home.
Thanks for the reply. Does the "client" (yes I mean XF) comes with instructions? because if
I think all those hostings are compatible with XenForo. The first thing you need to know is about Cpanel (your hosting control panel): you can upload files (zip, and unzip files too), create a MySQL database using a wizard, and a lot of things.

1.To install almost any product the first thing you need to do is create a database, so you will have a "database user" "database user password" and "database name".
2.Upload the product to your hosting, using FTP or CPanel file manager (I like this last one because I can manage the zip files)
3.If the product that you uploaded is in /product folder go to http://mydomain/product/ or sometimes http://mydomain/product/install/install.php and follow the wizard steps, well you should read the readme file.

Nope, ryohnosuke.com and inkatech.net

Saludos.

Thanks for the reply, guys. Yeah, by "client" I mean XF. I just have no idea on how I am supposed to install the forum on the host (using my PC and then uploading it via FTP/CPanel? idk). If it comes with instructions/readme then I guess it shouldn't be an issue at all, but I want to make sure I don't **** it up. Somewhere I read that I can only install it once, so what happens if I install it on some HostGator and then I want to move to another host or to a dedicated server in the future?

Oh btw, any recommedation on specificatinos for the Host? There's VPS and web hosting (dedicated servers are not an option for now). Which one should I get? Does XF run on both with no problems?

You can install it more than once! Just not at one time - in other words, your license is for one working copy (I assume)...

You can easily move it elsewhere.

If you are not familiar with unix and permissions and some other tech stuff, my suggestion would be to pay someone here to install it for you. It's very reasonable (is this an option when buying?)
If, on the other hand, you want to learn about it - give it a go!

You have the basics - yes, you upload it via ftp usually and then install it.

Would you like me to create a video for you to follow as a guide of sorts?

I am free for the next hour and if this is something you think will help you let me know asap.

You can install it more than once! Just not at one time - in other words, your license is for one working copy (I assume)...

You can install a "working copy" your members use but you can also install test copies.
You use a test copy to try out changes.
The test copy must have its own database without your real members as users on it - a new database. Not accessible/ usable by your members. For example don't allow guest signup (easy to disable) and don't put a link on your working forum except in private message to someone interested in design or changes.
I'd recommend you pay a small fee for sopmeone to do your install. It's not expensive and saves you a load of tension. The install isn't hard but much nicer if you can go straight into making it YOUR forum without bothering with the basic install.

Would you like me to create a video for you to follow as a guide of sorts?

I am free for the next hour and if this is something you think will help you let me know asap.
That would be nice, but I wouldn't really want to bother you that much.

You can easily move it elsewhere.

If you are not familiar with unix and permissions and some other tech stuff, my suggestion would be to pay someone here to install it for you. It's very reasonable (is this an option when buying?)
If, on the other hand, you want to learn about it - give it a go!

You have the basics - yes, you upload it via ftp usually and then install it.
I actually want to learn about it, but given the fact that it's not a PERSONAL project (rather a community effort), I guess paying a fee would be a good idea. Any idea on how much would someone around here charge me for doing the bizz?

You can install a "working copy" your members use but you can also install test copies.
You use a test copy to try out changes.
The test copy must have its own database without your real members as users on it - a new database. Not accessible/ usable by your members. For example don't allow guest signup (easy to disable) and don't put a link on your working forum except in private message to someone interested in design or changes.
I'd recommend you pay a small fee for sopmeone to do your install. It's not expensive and saves you a load of tension. The install isn't hard but much nicer if you can go straight into making it YOUR forum without bothering with the basic install.

Yeah that last part makes sense. Since it's not a personal website, I think it'd be much nicer to have things sorted out. However, I want to give it a go in the future. I've always considered myself a tech guy, so learning from my own experience is the best option IMO.

Thank you all guys. Any recommendations on host settings? like, VPS, web hosting, w/e? Traffic should be really low at first.

I would try it yourself first.....

If you want to do that here is an example setup....

I have already uploaded the files to the directory I desire to ....

Now I will change the permissions...for the data and internal_data folders to 777

then I need to create a db...I will be displaying it in cpanel on a hostgator server....

with the db and users added and permissions for that user on that db in place I can begin installation...

click begin....

enter the information we just created....(as a note use a much more secure password than the one in my example.)

let it do it's thing....when it is done you will setup the admin account

This would be completed at this point and you can go into any customizations that you were looking to do in order to give your forum a unique identity....

hope this video helps....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did a quick search for you and found these coders doing installs.

SchmitzIT
Slavik
Waindigo
The above 3 I know for sure are good.
Dev
Mikey
RevTastic
These might be just as good but I don't personally have knowledge to say 100%.

I don't think an install should cost you more than $25 - $50
To anyone who knows how to do it, it's not a big job. Plus they stand to get more support or addon work from you later maybe.

EDIT ADD. I'd contact at least 3 of these. Coders are always busy and you don't want to wait now you've decided. See who answers first/ who is free to help. Don't send a group message that looks a bit rude! Write individually.

Hello to everyone.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if it is not, please move this thread to the correct subforum.

Anyway, I sort of have a "community" in Facebook where competitive gaming is discussed, and given the fact that we're too many people now, things are getting confusing so we need to move to a website.
I'm most familiar with XenForo due to that other competitive gaming-related forums use XF (Decerto.net, Testyourmight.com, euesports.com, etc), so going for XF is practically a no-brainer for me/us.

However, I have zero experience when it comes to websites and purchasing forum licenses and such, so I need as much help as possible on this one:
- Should I purchase the domain and web hosting on local suppliers? Or is there any recommendations you can give us on web hosting solutions and such? I've read that XenForo has specifications, so I wouldn't want to purchase a uncompatible service.

Please bare in mind that we live in Peru (south america), so I don't even know if it's possible for me to purchase web hosting from the states.

All we're looking for is to look more professional, have a easy-to-manage forum and have a more organized community. We also do not need anything too fancy as we're a small community by now (although it's quite possible that more people may join us, which is the main idea behind the website).

If any of you could help us explaining the domain/web hosting things about XF, it would be great.

Cheers.

Hey there,

I purchase my domain names from GoDaddy.com and I've recently switched my hosting from FutureQuest.net to Justhost.com simply because Justhost is cheaper.

These are all great options and enough of what you need to run a xenForo installation.

Now there are some other things you need to do as well, such as switching the name servers and whatnot. This really isn't that bad but it can be confusing for first timers.

You will need an FTP Client, I use Filezilla and you will need to set up MySQL Databases and FTP User Accounts with your host. I know this all sounds confusing and I know a lot of people above are trying to help, but I can help you also.

I can teach you how to do everything via Screen Sharing. This is where you can view my screen and I can run you through the entire process, step by step. And if for any reason you do need help creating the database and installing xenForo, I can do that for you for free. Why? Simply because I know how it is to feel lost.

Now I'm not a coder and I cannot customize your layout and style and all that, but I can get you started with a working website that you can use. All I need from you is a bit of your time to perform the screen share so that you will see exactly what I am trying to teach you. You don't need to download anything for this. You can simply go to a website, put in an ID code I will give you and voila! I can show you everything you need to know. I will be available pretty much all day today so just let me know.

Hey there,

I purchase my domain names from GoDaddy.com and I've recently switched my hosting from FutureQuest.net to Justhost.com simply because Justhost is cheaper.

These are all great options and enough of what you need to run a xenForo installation.

Now there are some other things you need to do as well, such as switching the name servers and whatnot. This really isn't that bad but it can be confusing for first timers.

You will need an FTP Client, I use Filezilla and you will need to set up MySQL Databases and FTP User Accounts with your host. I know this all sounds confusing and I know a lot of people above are trying to help, but I can help you also.

I can teach you how to do everything via Screen Sharing. This is where you can view my screen and I can run you through the entire process, step by step. And if for any reason you do need help creating the database and installing xenForo, I can do that for you for free. Why? Simply because I know how it is to feel lost.

Now I'm not a coder and I cannot customize your layout and style and all that, but I can get you started with a working website that you can use. All I need from you is a bit of your time to perform the screen share so that you will see exactly what I am trying to teach you. You don't need to download anything for this. You can simply go to a website, put in an ID code I will give you and voila! I can show you everything you need to know. I will be available pretty much all day today so just let me know.

Hey, even though that'd be great. I don't think it's happening this week. I'm off for holidays, but I think I have things almost sorted out.

Thanks to everybody for your love and time. I'll be back with news (and quite probably questions).

its always helps when you drop your ideas in notes for e.g
  • name/ main goal*
  • audience*
  • design (color, logo... etc
  • list of forums (choose them carefully)
  • do you need blogs, albums, media, groups system (is good to keep it narrowed to 1-2 option(s) since all of this are add-on)
  • any questions?? (feel free to ask here)
*you're in better shape than others since you established a community already

I did a quick search for you and found these coders doing installs.

SchmitzIT
Slavik
Waindigo
The above 3 I know for sure are good.
Dev
Mikey
RevTastic
These might be just as good but I don't personally have knowledge to say 100%.

I don't think an install should cost you more than $25 - $50
To anyone who knows how to do it, it's not a big job. Plus they stand to get more support or addon work from you later maybe.

EDIT ADD. I'd contact at least 3 of these. Coders are always busy and you don't want to wait now you've decided. See who answers first/ who is free to help. Don't send a group message that looks a bit rude! Write individually.

I am almost certain you can strike Mikey off that list he works for IPB and I very much doubt he provides the xf installation service anymore.

Hey there,

hey im looking to open up a forum...i need someone to teach me how to i mean i could pay and have it installed but i want to learn it so i know what im doing in the future....could u please help me i need big help since i have no experience in site building. i already have the site registered and the host. please reply soon

hey im looking to open up a forum...i need someone to teach me how to i mean i could pay and have it installed but i want to learn it so i know what im doing in the future....could u please help me i need big help since i have no experience in site building. i already have the site registered and the host. please reply soon

Hey Raman, I will be available pretty much all morning tomorrow (my time zone is USA EST). So just let me know when you're around.

Top Bottom