1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few questions before commiting to XenForo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by pizzaman, Jun 13, 2014.

1. pizzaman

pizzaman New Member

At a small business I work for we use an internal forum that has some shortcomings so we are contemplating an idea of changing to another forum software. Please help me determine whether the latest XenForo version includes:

- Permanent subscription to a topic regardless of the fact whether a user visits forum or not. Users (employees) must continuously receive email notifications about new posts even if they don't visit the forum. On the current forum users only receive one email notification to a topic they're subscribed to and then no more emails until they re-visit the forum/topic.

- Can Admin manage topic subscriptions for users? Can he subscribe users to certain topics?

- Can users be prevented to unsubscribe from topics?

- Can contact information fields in user profiles be removed? Owners don't want users to see each other's contacts such as email addresses, Facebook contacts, etc.

- Is there a MOD available to advertise reputation more prominently? I can see on this forum that you have to click a user name in order to see how many likes a person has received so far. However, I'd like to see how many times users have been thanked/liked right under their name, without the need to click a user name.

Like I said, it's a small business forum set up for internal communication and owners require more control over how employees receive information.

Thanks for helping!
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The first three would require custom development - those options are not available out of the box.

The rest can be done with template edits and options.
    pizzaman likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Yes, subscriptions are permanent if users set them that way. They are known here as watched threads.

You can test a user's permissions on XenForo, but I'm not sure if that extends to watched threads.

I believe there is. Check out the resource manager.
    pizzaman likes this.
  4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

No, only one email gets sent.... then nothing more until the member visits the thread again.
    pizzaman and Amaury like this.
  5. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Check out the 'Kitchen Sink' style here for postbit data - it's a style option.
    pizzaman likes this.
  6. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Whoops. I thought by permanent they were asking if they're automatically unsubscribed from threads after a period of time.
  7. pizzaman

pizzaman New Member

Thanks everybody. Is reputation/karma system available out of the box?
  8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

No, but there are add-ons available for that.
    pizzaman likes this.
  9. pizzaman

pizzaman New Member

What about migration from phpBB 3 to XenForo? Is this possible? What are the requirements? What's the experience from other users? Can we expect any trouble?
  10. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is a built in phpBB3 importer.
    pizzaman likes this.
  11. pizzaman

pizzaman New Member

How/Where can I find somebody who will migrate a phpbb3 forum to XenForo for me? Fyi, I will be also changing a web hosting provider at the same time.
  12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

pizzaman likes this.
  13. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

We've been hired by Missy to migrated a forum about pizza (really fun since I see your username has the word "pizza") from PHPBB3 to XenForo which is thinktank.pmq.com (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/multiple-languages-not-translations.67936/)
  14. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member