Few doubts on xenForo resources

3rd AnGle

Hello xenForo!

I don't know if this is the right forum but thought it'd be better in licensed customers' forum.

I just saw this post made by Ashley
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/reactivation-fee.4639/page-6#post-84241

We want our customers to have a clear understanding and understand the value. We think that XenForo updates will have people wanting to renew, not to mention that access to resource areas require that your license is up to date. .....
We believe that this aligns the extension policy more closely with customer expectations of fairness and good value.

Ashley!

Could you clarify a bit more on the access to resource areas part? What kind of resources that'd be? As far as i can understand it's the add-ons and graphics etc which are (mostly) shared for free by the authors so will it be wise to say they are locked for non-licensed customers ( i supposed it'd be available somewhere else anyway). Or If there's any resource to be shared from xenForo offcially, shouldn't it be included in the product package (regardless of whether customers choosing to activate or not in their forums)?

Thanks

Yes, it would included licensed support forums, addons, styles. These are the forums that are currently in mind, although there are likely to be more in due course such as languages. Access would be available with an up to date license.

Yes, it would included licensed support forums, addons, styles. These are the forums that are currently in mind, although there are likely to be more in due course such as languages. Access would be available with an up to date license.

But what i'd like to know is.. are they official xenForo releases or the ones released by other members? I got the support part but the resources:confused:...

Anyway, I don't wanna worry about it untill about 12 months from now... am sure you will come up with the best plan. Thanks.

I think what Naoba is talking about is the spirit behind blocking the unlicensed from accessing resources that are free and not owned by XenForo.
While i understand XenForo wanting to keep out non licencees, it does seem kinda awkward that XenForo protects resources that they have no legal ownership of.
I know you guys have the right to do this, and its standard practice... but maybe its standard practice 1999... and shouldnt be standard practice in 2010?

On another point regarding future updates, would those with expired licences still be able to access emergency security updates to their software?
That is kind of important.

I don't think it's really a protection aspect as there's nothing stopping a mod author to post the mod on his own website however it's definitely a PRIVILEGE to have all the resources in a one stop shop.

Hypothetically, if someone were to ever make a popular "xenforo.org" type fan website, wouldn't that one-stop-shop privilege become pretty much obsolete? It does seem kind of weird that you need your license to be up to date to have access to unofficial non-XenForo developed resources. But I also don't know how I'd feel if the resources sections of this forum weren't restricted to licensed customers... :confused:

[personal opinion only]

I would like to point out the way things are currently set up at the moment it could be considered *extremely* helpful to the resource authors. Think about it:
  • Everyone can view the forums, and read them, but cannot download unless their license is up to date.
  • In theory an url to the resource authors website could be in the resource they put up, which could be an excellent thing, depending on what the resource author is trying to achieve. Their websites would probably get traffic, they would not otherwise receive.
(the way things are currently set up)

[/personal opinion only]

Seems perfectly acceptable to me, if you want to access a XF hosted mod store that contains XF developed mods, XF assisted mods, and user developed mods, then pay your $40.

These guys need an ongoing revenue stream to continue product development, and $40 is extremely reasonable.

Im not trying to deny anyone their 40 dollars, im just pointing out that its something a bit weird, and this weirdness ended up becoming a big issue with Joomla, eventually causing a huge problem.

Seems perfectly acceptable to me, if you want to access a XF hosted mod store that contains XF developed mods, XF assisted mods, and user developed mods, then pay your $40.

These guys need an ongoing revenue stream to continue product development, and $40 is extremely reasonable.

No one would disagree with the revenue stream needed for xenForo. We were just concerned about the resources being blocked by xenForo because few didn't choose to re-new their software. I for one always keep my software updated and i don't mind opening up my pocket at the slightest hint. This is more about the business model xenForo is shaping up to. I am just worried that if xenForo continues to go with their plan then it might kickstart an APPLE phenonemon.

Top Bottom