FetchApp - How many use it and does anyone have issues with it?

CrispinP

Folks,

I have tried using FetchApp a few times to sell my add-ons from this site (Xenfro.com).
It never works. FetchApp support cannot figure it out.

I've gone through two accounts (different emails, same PP) with them and their last suggestion is to delete my second account and try a third. I cannot see this helping

I have a resource (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-map.5188/) which has a link (https://crispin.fetchapp.com/sell/2dcdd745) to PP.
Clicking on this successfully redirects you to PP and you pay.
I see the emails from PP for the purchase.
FetchApp though do not log the transaction and it's invisible to them. As such, the purchaser receives no email.

They're stumped - I'm stumped.

Anyone else use it without a problem?

Cheers
C

Do you have IPN's enabled on your account?

I haven't used FetchApp in years (not since I switched to my own XF add-on, then to @Chris D's Xen Product Manager), but that sounds like the most likely culprit.

Liam

Good shout, I'd not thought to check that.

Ipn is not enabled on my account but I can't find anywhere in fetchapp that it says it needs to be. I'll ask them anyway for confirmation.

I've looked at the product manager and it's not close enough to my needs to warrant a purchase just yet so I need to soldier on with fetchapp...

I use fetchapp... and it sucks. It's cheap and easy, but half the time their email servers break. So I send out an update and people start complaining that they haven't been emailed the update. I can't do anything except wait 3 days for them to fix the issue.

The 2% transaction fee, with $15 a month... in addition to the paypal fees... just make Selfy look like a ripoff.

The 2% transaction fee, with $15 a month... in addition to the paypal fees... just make Selfy look like a ripoff.
That's what I thought. I can accept the % fee on the free version but the % fee + monthly fee... Not even PayPal are that harsh.

I'm going to try once more with fetchapp. But like they say - you gets what you pays for. :)

I am also looking into this currently. What are the best recommendations for 2018?

@Jaxel

Did Fetchapp become better in his email issues/server problems?

Did you switch to something else? If yes to which service?

@ all

Does anybody has experience with other similar services like fetchapp to sell here on Xenforo?

Two year old thread but since it was brought up...

I use fetchapp... and it sucks. It's cheap and easy, but half the time their email servers break. So I send out an update and people start complaining that they haven't been emailed the update. I can't do anything except wait 3 days for them to fix the issue.

It's also incredibly user unfriendly. A site I work for has purchased two of your addons, and it's a complete pain to deal with. Since there's no accounts with access, like every other eCommerce tool, the site owner DMs me every time there's an update, and I have to bookmark links in order to download the latest version.

If you are (or anyone else is) interested in self hosting products instead, I'd be happy to work with you to import your customer DB from FetchApp into DB eCommerce :)

Fillip

Like all addons it needs an investment of another xenforo licence just to offer this service. Same for ChrisD addon.

I was hoping for a solution without buying and installing another XF forum for it. I do not want to use my existing community forums for that.

There are options based on Wordpress. Free plugins to "sell" digital goods as far as I can see. Payments with PayPal and Stripe. But I do not know yet, whether this will work with the RM here. I would prefer to handle all support and the sale from here. Maybe the sale as a link to that wordpress installation with that plugin.

But everything has to be automatic, so users do not have to wait too long and it has to be reliable and easy to use for the users.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Like all addons it needs an investment of another xenforo licence just to offer this service. Same for ChrisD addon.

I was hoping for a solution without buying and installing another XF forum for it. I do not want to use my existing community forums for that.

There are options based on Wordpress. Free plugins to "sell" digital goods as far as I can see. Payments with PayPal and Stripe. But I do not know yet, whether this will work with the RM here. I would prefer to handle all support and the sale from here. Maybe the sale as a link to that wordpress installation with that plugin.

But everything has to be automatic, so users do not have to wait too long and it has to be reliable and easy to use for the users.

Any recommendations are welcome.
Honestly, if you're going to be selling products you should have a dedicated site or else you get to deal with the hell that is resource threads for support. Even the most attentive and active person will overlook suggestions or bug reports in resource threads, and then you just hear complaints about how bad your support is.

Depending on your prices, you should be able to pay off a new XF license and any other required licenses/hosting/domain purchases in a few sales.

Honestly, if you're going to be selling products you should have a dedicated site or else you get to deal with the hell that is resource threads for support. Even the most attentive and active person will overlook suggestions or bug reports in resource threads, and then you just hear complaints about how bad your support is.
This, 100%.

With your own site, you also get to control notifications to a greater degree. If you turn email notifications on for XF.com resource discussion threads, you are going to run into one or both of these major problems:
1. You will receive multiple email notifications for what may be low-priority issues, distracting you from work or from your day
2. You may not receive new email notifications until you've visited the site, potentially masking more critical support issues

With your own site, you can turn off email notifications by default, and enable them for threads that have a higher priority in your eyes. Or enable them all by default if you're having a slow week, turning them off for low priority issues. Or anything else you want.

You also don't expressly need a support ticket system to deal with issues on your own site. We use one @ DBTech for the convenience of seeing a block of outstanding tickets, and automating thread closures by criteria, etc. It's something I intend to release as a companion mod to eCommerce after a while.

There's no way I would want to use RM threads as the only means of support.

Fillip

Depending on your prices, you should be able to pay off a new XF license and any other required licenses/hosting/domain purchases in a few sales.

I think it's mainly for people just starting out to create add-ons. For example myself. I plan to release some free ones once their made and not delve into paid ones until I'm more comfortable with Xenforo 2. But this is nice to know nonetheless and while I will probably host a site for any paid add-ons I make, it's still good information to know in my humble opinion. Would be good to set that up at first and then create your site once you've acquired enough add-ons for it to be worth it. If you only have a couple paid add-ons this may not be too bad of an idea.

To be honest, I did not intend to start a business here by selling addons. It just happened that I desperately need a specific addon and noone wanted to make it for years. So I got a very good developper who is doing it for me and I only will sell that addon to the public to recover the costs.

If there are bugs with the addon, the developer will fix them. But I am not planning to add features except I will find feature requests/user-suggestions also for my own community forums beneficial and would like to have them as well :)

I am not sure whether it is worth it for such a "low-key"/low income thing to invest in an additional domainname, XF forum licence plus addons...?

Na, it's not, that's literally what FetchApp is meant to be used for. As far as I can see, there are no transactional fees any more, just a flat monthly cost.

Top Bottom