Implemented Feature Thread

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I appreciate the idea of sticky thread but sometime we want to promote a single thread for the entire forum. By adding this feature we'll be able to make the forum index page livable and constantly updated with relative threads.

Global Sticky?

Shows on top of all forums?

or Global Announcements?

both addons exist, check em out to see which works best for you

I don't understant what you want exactly when you promote a thread. Sticky Thread is promoting the thread within the forum.
  • Do you want to add some part of the threads content? First post, last post, specific post?
  • Do you want to add the "feature" in the forum, on the forum start page (forum_list template, the start page)? Or do you want to feature the thread on all pages on the forum including other threads? Where?

I think it is very interesting to discuss ideas about how promoting content, as this is our job as administrators :)

I don't understant what you want exactly when you promote a thread. Sticky Thread is promoting the thread within the forum.
  • Do you want to add some part of the threads content? First post, last post, specific post?
  • Do you want to add the "feature" in the forum, on the forum start page (forum_list template, the start page)? Or do you want to feature the thread on all pages on the forum including other threads? Where?

I think it is very interesting to discuss ideas about how promoting content, as this is our job as administrators :)

I think many would like to see either a box on the index (or side-wide -- maybe configurable), or a block in the sidebar?

For me personally, I'd love something similar to what @Brogan does on his site with just a tad more detail...

http://cliptheapex.com/

So you want to have Featured Thread display the thread title including part of the first post on template forum_list. You can easily do that with Notices.

+1

Saves me having it developed and having to create a style in exchange for it.

Edit: I really like how Brogan has his designed (layout) and featured threads change upon refreshing the page. #xenforocorefeature

The only thing I would change on brogan's featured thread is instead of having the text "featured thread" under the avatar I would have it after the title.

Screenshot_29.webp

If I ever get the add-on done, I'll release it here.
Currently it's all manual so not in a fit state.

Apologies my mistake. I thought it was going to be exclusive to your site. I'll be honest, I think you've done an outstanding job with it (layout wise) and how it functions but I think you know this already.

*cough* Get @Mike to help *cough*

Thanks Shelley.
I don't want to hijack this thread but this is one of the other layout options, which mimics the multiple featured resources, just vertical rather than horizontal (there isn't enough width to do them the same as the RM).

upload_2013-11-3_20-53-4.webp

I suppose it is relevant to the suggestion though as if it ever made it into the core, I think the option to have more than one featured thread would be useful.

@Brogan you have always shine with great ideas. I like what you did in your site and is relevant to this thread. If more people wants this feature, you wouldn't have to spend a lot of time developing your own add-on.
:)

Paul is doing it as a way to learn how to code. He's stated he'll release it for others when he has the chance.

Thanks Shelley.
I don't want to hijack this thread but this is one of the other layout options, which mimics the multiple featured resources, just vertical rather than horizontal (there isn't enough width to do them the same as the RM).

View attachment 60486

I suppose it is relevant to the suggestion though as if it ever made it into the core, I think the option to have more than one featured thread would be useful.

The stacked layout is a good alternative. I would have loathed to see the auto scroll come in affect with this which is probably another way of dealing with multiple featured threads. I think the one I prefer is that it just changes (if more than one featured thread exists) featured threads just change upon refreshing but the stacked layout is a good alternative.

I don't think your hijacking the thread, it gives people a chance to see what featured threads are all about and will entice people to post other suggestions related to featured threads. The fact you posted a stacked featured thread view, the last thing I'd want to see if this is included in the core is auto scrolling featured threads, though I suppose manual scrolling threads wouldn't be that bad where nav icons show if you happen to hover inside the featured thread container.

Is there a field in the admincp you add/have where you insert the amount of featured you want to display @Brogan ?

Top Bottom