Feature list for 1.2

No Apple-App BUT

1. Integrated xF Mobile-Style
2. Integrated xF Mobile-Style
3. Integrated xF Mobile-Style

as chrismas gift ;)

I wouldn't refer this to being torturous. If your away for a long period you just have to remember to log back in,

That just doesn't accord with the philosophy of stickiness which is to makle it as easy as possible for visitors to STAY.
IN almost every other way XF does this magnificently - so many thoughtful ideas make XF magnetic so one stays logged in, returning at intervals to check the latest. That's exactly what we want people to do. Sure many will return after a day or a week, but the ones who really STICK are the backbone of community.

If I were an ordinary user I would face this barrier to staying and get discouraged. It's too uncomfortable.
It's not just that it's a series of 5 or 6 clicks to restore the connection - though that's extraordinarily high when good classic site design dictates that anything you want on a site is no more than 3 clicks away maximum ever. It's that the whole thing is -

- counterintuitive and bewildering - the new user has to work it out that they need to log out when you've just been told you're logged out. The site page totally fails to tell you that you're logged out untl you try to do something, and continues to tell you that you ARE logged in by displaying username top right and logged in content - this is hall of mirrors stuff

- clearly not helpful and friendly as all you get is a curt message on the overlay telling you you're not logged in.
This action could not be completed because you are no longer logged in.
No instruction what to do for the inexperienced. No supportive warning that although the page may be showing you as logged in you need to click log out top right and log in. Nothing but the bare statement. Of course I can correct this in Phrases and I will. BUt I don't think of things like this which I do experience as offputting for users, only in terms of my board.

As I said this is strongly opposite to the usual XF design philosophy.

From XF I would expect to see a COURTEOUS and HELPFUL overlay (or other display notice)
appear on the page automatically as part of the timeout.

"Sorry, your login has ended as you have not been active on here for a while.
(This happens as a security precaution.)
No problem! Just click here to login again and find out what's been happening."

As soon as you click the here the overlay disappears automatically to be replaced by the login form.

Obviously could be an add-on and normally I don't beg for core changes; add-ons are fine by me. But I think THIS item really detracts from XF.

This is a problem for me too. I am hesitant to make things like my Edit History mod because I expect them to be in XenForo itself in the next release. Same with a downloads mod, they have a resource manager which I can see basically making any downloads mod I make pointless, I would rather wait for the resource manager and mod it to what people want. Making a full on system myself will take at least a couple weeks and it would need to be a long term investment to justify the work with no pay, if the resource manager gets released such a long term investment would instantly become a loss.

I definitely understand the want for more feature info for developers but I think them taking a few weeks to make sure they know what they need to do next and solidifying their ability to do so is probably in everyone's best interest.

Yes, but in the past the only way to know is after a full video has been made for the HYS section. A private group for devs or something would be awesome. With a non disclosure agreement or something.

Yes, but in the past the only way to know is after a full video has been made for the HYS section. A private group for devs or something would be awesome. With a non disclosure agreement or something.

I think this would be problematic - disclosure is difficult to enforce.
I'm sure certain selected colleagues who contribute a lot to this board with add-ons and support do get to hear more info. But as a group gets bigger so does the risk of leaks and that can be very unpleasant all round both commercially and in termsof the community.

This has always been a difficult problem balancing the needs of the team and their business, against the needs of coders who don't want to waste effort on duplicates of core stuff coming soon.
Without some help on this from the team it discourages add-ons.
But the team do need to protect their business.

An advance notice on the next feature due e.g. Resource Manager, say 4 - 6 weeks ahead might be a compromise. Just one feature so not a big amount of disclosure, but it also tells coders that other features will be later than that.

Personally, I'd of course like to know what's being worked on... Not because I'd hold Kier and Mike to actually finishing whatever it is or bug them about "is it done yet", but rather so I can properly prioritize the stuff *I'm* working on. But realistically, it's understandable why they don't mention what's being worked in too much detail.

I've tried to prioritize the stuff I'm building based on the probability they will be added to XF by default. For example today I'm working on integrating Google Analytics and Google AdSense reporting for users to be able to report on their own accounts (via OAuth2). We have a need for it, but it's fairly safe to say that's not going to become a default feature of XF any time soon... Other things like master/slave DB support, post edit history, a user changelog, etc. are more at the end of my "to-do" list because maybe they will get added by default.

Either way, I know the resource manager and big board search are being worked on, and those are two things that I would have otherwise needed to build myself... so I'm happy about that. :)

Personally, I'd of course like to know what's being worked on... Not because I'd hold Kier and Mike to actually finishing whatever it is or bug them about "is it done yet", but rather so I can properly prioritize the stuff *I'm* working on. But realistically, it's understandable why they don't mention what's being worked in too much detail.

I've tried to prioritize the stuff I'm building based on the probability they will be added to XF by default. For example today I'm working on integrating Google Analytics and Google AdSense reporting for users to be able to report on their own accounts (via OAuth2). We have a need for it, but it's fairly safe to say that's not going to become a default feature of XF any time soon... Other things like master/slave DB support, post edit history, a user changelog, etc. are more at the end of my "to-do" list because maybe they will get added by default.

Either way, I know the resource manager and big board search are being worked on, and those are two things that I would have otherwise needed to build myself... so I'm happy about that. :)

The Big Board Search is going to rock :) The more I play the more I like.

Pretty much anything that takes fulltext search away from MySQL is going to rock. :)
Indeed, but I wish that MySQL 5.6 was out and usable so I could test InnoDB FTS against the XF (let's call it ..) BBS (Big Board Search). Results are great. My forum is not that busy but I love a challenge and an optimising my solution as best I can. Guess that comes from working in an Enterprise environment, ms means money.

InnoDB fulltext search isn't much better than MyISAM to be honest... Fulltext search in any database is really there as a convenience more than anything. Databases are always going to be more optimized to do fast lookups of known keys.

MySQL has been doing some interesting work with bridging Sphinx and Memcache... Like you can access Sphinx indexes as a MySQL database (like you could JOIN to data between a MySQL table and a Sphinx index).

InnoDB fulltext search isn't much better than MyISAM to be honest... Fulltext search in any database is really there as a convenience more than anything. Databases are always going to be more optimized to do fast lookups of known keys.

MySQL has been doing some interesting work with bridging Sphinx and Memcache... Like you can access Sphinx indexes as a MySQL database (like you could JOIN to data between a MySQL table and a Sphinx index).
Hmm, gonna have to disgagree. In all the comparisons made between MyIsam and InnoDB FTS tests InnoDB has always shown marked improvements.

I'm talking relative to a search engine designed for "fulltext" search. Say you have 20M posts, and some search in MyISAM takes 20 seconds, InnoDB being 100% faster is still 100000% slower than a system designed from the ground up to be a search engine. They just don't scale well to very large data sets. That same search would take 0.01 seconds with something like Sphinx or Solr.

My biggest gripe with XF and really my only serious one is how the timeout function hits me.
I timeout - but NOTHING CHANGES on the page.
So I don't know it's happened. I return to the page after a phone call, or I finish writing/ coding on it, but when I press to post or whatever I get that nasty overlay saying I'm logged out.
That';s it. No link to log back in. The procedure is then a MESS.

I then have to fiddle around -
- first exiting that ruddy overlay to get rid of it only to see the page peacefully displaying my name as LOGGED IN
- then exasperatingly I have to click Log out - when I've jus been told I'm logged out! How against intuition is that - it does my head in!
- Then I click to log in.
- Then I put in my username and password and log in
- THEN I usually have to navigate back to where I was
- and having got crashed by this runaround before I have Copied what I was doing before so I can re-do it.
I get timed out messages alot, I
  • close the overlay,
  • copy the post to the clipboard,
  • Refresh (Reload) the broswer (i definitely don't login/logout - I dont think)
right.click.RELOAD.chrome.browser.for.timeouts.webp
Figure 1: right click menu in chrome to reload the browser page.
  • and then either Post again or reply again and then paste the clipboard to the new post.

I think phpBB3 does it much better, when you attempt to [Post] it says your session has timed out, but if you click [Post] a second time ... it works. I guess the first [Post] logs you in if you were logged out.

I would like please
- message appears on the page "You have logged out due to no action from you for X minutes." timeout notice. (Be nice to know how long too)
- with a link to log in which goes straight to the form
- logging in returns me to where i was with any text/ attachment/ code I added still there.
Good suggestions. Especially letting the user know what is going on, if possible.

That just doesn't accord with the philosophy of stickiness which is to makle it as easy as possible for visitors to STAY.
IN almost every other way XF does this magnificently - so many thoughtful ideas make XF magnetic so one stays logged in, returning at intervals to check the latest. That's exactly what we want people to do. Sure many will return after a day or a week, but the ones who really STICK are the backbone of community.

If I were an ordinary user I would face this barrier to staying and get discouraged. It's too uncomfortable.
It's not just that it's a series of 5 or 6 clicks to restore the connection - though that's extraordinarily high when good classic site design dictates that anything you want on a site is no more than 3 clicks away maximum ever. It's that the whole thing is -

- counterintuitive and bewildering - the new user has to work it out that they need to log out when you've just been told you're logged out. The site page totally fails to tell you that you're logged out untl you try to do something, and continues to tell you that you ARE logged in by displaying username top right and logged in content - this is hall of mirrors stuff

- clearly not helpful and friendly as all you get is a curt message on the overlay telling you you're not logged in.
This action could not be completed because you are no longer logged in.
No instruction what to do for the inexperienced. No supportive warning that although the page may be showing you as logged in you need to click log out top right and log in. Nothing but the bare statement. Of course I can correct this in Phrases and I will. BUt I don't think of things like this which I do experience as offputting for users, only in terms of my board.

As I said this is strongly opposite to the usual XF design philosophy.

From XF I would expect to see a COURTEOUS and HELPFUL overlay (or other display notice)
appear on the page automatically as part of the timeout.

"Sorry, your login has ended as you have not been active on here for a while.
(This happens as a security precaution.)
No problem! Just click here to login again and find out what's been happening."

As soon as you click the here the overlay disappears automatically to be replaced by the login form.

Obviously could be an add-on and normally I don't beg for core changes; add-ons are fine by me. But I think THIS item really detracts from XF.

I did a quick mockup and simplistic implementation is the solution here (preview below)

loggedout.webp

Shelley - in phpBB3 - I would hit Save all changes - a popup says .. you were timed out. But when I hit Save all changes again (which is natural to try it again - that is what a newbie would do) - it works.

Shelley - in phpBB3 - I would hit Save all changes - a popup says .. you were timed out. But when I hit Save all changes again (which is natural to try it again - that is what a newbie would do) - it works.
That's not really comparable - that's basically because your login details were saved. It's the equivalent of hitting remember me here (which if you use, you should never have a problem unless you don't look at a page for over a day...).

In general, you won't have a problem if you either choose to remember your details or keep a tab active. If you don't remember your details, you will get logged out after an hour of inactivity (with a "blurred" browser window), and really that's what you told it to do without setting remember me. :)

My biggest gripe with XF and really my only serious one is how the timeout function hits me. I timeout - but NOTHING CHANGES on the page.
It would be prudent to give people some notice regarding their logged out state.

Are you using: [ ] Stay logged in ?

stay.logged.in.webp

It would be prudent to give people some notice regarding their logged out state.

View attachment 22693

I generally do use it. But I expect I forget sometimes.
The blurred screen that Mike mentions is new to me. I haven't ever noticed that.

But as it's easy to overlook the "Stay logged in" tiny box I still think an alert popup telling me I've timed out would be courteous, in line with how XF usually treats me. Also a login button right there where I need it.

Shelley thanks for the mockup.

View attachment 22693

Well, it should be checked by default when members try to log in... my members too used to keep on complaining about being logged out after typing a long reply and losing their message... but by simply checking that checkbox by default, this complaint has simply gone away... i am still on vB just sharing my experience...

Top Bottom