XF 1.4 Favicon Issues

Amaury

We're trying to add unique a favicon to KH-Flare, but it doesn't want to update. It should be the one our test site has:

Favicon.webp

See the conversation below for some info:
[3:15:50 PM] Jordan: So I can deduce that one of the add-ons on khf is the reason the favicon won't work.
[3:16:04 PM] Amaury: The favicon's showing fine there.
[3:16:09 PM] Amaury: It's the XenForo one.
[3:16:21 PM] Jordan: It's supposed to be the one on the test site.
[3:16:58 PM] Amaury: Which add-on?
[3:17:02 PM] Jordan: I dunno.
[3:17:21 PM] Jordan: It might not be an add-on. Maybe it's something in the changes we've made.
[3:17:46 PM] Jordan: I'm just assuming it is since I can't really see any changes we've made to templates keeping the favicon from updating.
[3:18:24 PM] Amaury: The favicon is a server-side thing, though, I think. Searching for favicon in the ACP I get nothing.
[3:19:04 PM] Jordan: The image is in the directory it's supposed to be in. It just doesn't register.
[3:19:26 PM] Jordan: I don't know how favicons work ... they're like magnets.

Your favicon is linking to wrong place.
Find this in PAGE_CONTAINER:
HTML:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico?v=<?php echo time() ?>" />
and replace it with
HTML:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.kh-flare.net/favicon.ico" />
Then upload your favicon.ico to the same place where index.php (xenforo's file) exists and finally do a hard refresh and it should be working.

Think you could elaborate? Thanks. :)
The elaboration is whomever modified your page_container template needs to quit doing cut/paste if they aren't going to fix what they paste. :LOL:
It appears that whomever did that is attempting to force a refresh by adding a query string?

Your favicon is linking to wrong place.
Find this in PAGE_CONTAINER:
HTML:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico?v=<?php echo time() ?>" />
and replace it with
HTML:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.kh-flare.net/favicon.ico" />
Then upload your favicon.ico to the same place where index.php (xenforo's file) exists and finally do a hard refresh and it should be working.

The second part should have already been done. It hasn't changed yet, even after a hard refresh, but it will likely after I do my weekly data clearing tonight. I tried that, but then tried removing it altogether since it's not even there by default, so we'll see.

The elaboration is whomever modified your page_container template needs to quit doing cut/paste if they aren't going to fix what they paste. :LOL:
It appears that whomever did that is attempting to force a refresh by adding a query string?

Blame @Nights.

As stated above.. you should need to specifically link to the favicon. Your browser should look for it automagically in the root when you hit the site. The only time you would do it similar to what you are doing is if you want the icon in a different area than the root - you would specify the specific path. You can also do the same thing with a rewrite in your nginx vhost config (in my case) or should be able to via .htaccess.

As stated above.. you should need to specifically link to the favicon. Your browser should look for it automagically in the root when you hit the site. The only time you would do it similar to what you are doing is if you want the icon in a different area than the root - you would specify the specific path. You can also do the same thing with a rewrite in your nginx vhost config (in my case) or should be able to via .htaccess.

I'll re-add it to the template, then, and have Nights check the server-side stuff later.

Alright so the bit that was allegedly causing the problem was the bit I put in there because nothing else worked. I tried manually linking the favicon in the header. The favicon is in the root with the index.php. I fought with this for so long I eventually gave up. Now that it's prominent again I would like to state that the default favicon is overriding any attempt at a new one. I'm not sure if it's due to an add-on, coding changes on our end, or what. I know perfectly well that there's nothing wrong with XenForo as on a new install favicons update perfectly. I don't have anything else to try at this point.

Are you using nginx or apache for the HTTP server?
I believe that Chris D also has an add-on (LiveUpdate?) that allows you to define a favicon also.

If with @Mike Edge, I believe his systems use LiteSpeed. But they are htaccess compatible if so.
Try the add-on from Chris and see if it works. Otherwise, make sure you have a 16x16px favicon.ico in the root of your site. Then, do a search in all templates for favicon and comment out any calls in the template to that.

If you want, you can start a convo with me and I can see if I can help out. Will require ACP access at the least and possible cPanel.

If with @Mike Edge, I believe his systems use LiteSpeed. But they are htaccess compatible if so.
Try the add-on from Chris and see if it works. Otherwise, make sure you have a 16x16px favicon.ico in the root of your site. Then, do a search in all templates for favicon and comment out any calls in the template to that.

If you want, you can start a convo with me and I can see if I can help out. Will require ACP access at the least and possible cPanel.

Correct it is Litespeed. Be sure the favicon is using the correct image format type too.

Thanks Tracy, I'll be sending you a message as none of those helped. The only template with favicon in it is the Page Container and that's the custom line meant to call the favicon in the head.

Yeah really shouldn't need to add anything for the favicon to load default other than having it in the root directory. There are ways to force a new favicon but I have the best luck clearing browser cache / cookies via the options/settings then restarting the browser, usually this works.

Thanks Tracy, I'll be sending you a message as none of those helped. The only template with favicon in it is the Page Container and that's the custom line meant to call the favicon in the head.
No problem... and if you want, attach (I think convo's still allow it) your favicon.ico to the it so I can check the format and make sure it is correct.

I would have dropped the favicon in the root as Steve said, allow it to "refresh."

That was actually one of the first things I tried. I've installed custom favicons on my personal forum and several others before and haven't had this sort of problem. I've tried hard refreshing my browser to check. I've even tried different browsers just to make sure it wasn't cache causing the problem. Initially I waited several hours when first attempting this. Nothing has worked.

Top Bottom