Fatcow sucks! Moved to a new better host.

Not sure if they built their own, or more that they moved into a new distribution point, ie. have their own area / could claim it as their own datacenter as it would have only their equipment in that part.

http://www.servint.net/servintdatacenters.php

ServInt's data centers feature state-of-the-art multi-phase power redundancy, industrial-quality cooling, state-of-the-art security, fire suppression and power generation systems. Perhaps most importantly, they're located in the richest Internet traffic distribution points in the United States. Proximity to these interchanges has a direct effect on access and transfer speeds -- which are measurably higher for ServInt customers.

Don't really know... they could have bought a basement in a building... no idea! But the majority of their equipment is located in existing DC's owned by Soft Layer.

I agree with everything you are typing, makes no sense to handle things any other way. But unless I've been completely mis-informed, Servint actually owns a data center.

I was under the impression they had their own DC as well. I just did a traceroute and the planet and above.net shows up.

I was under the impression they had their own DC as well. I just did a traceroute and the planet and above.net shows up.
I have above.net too, in addition it appears they are a pipeline/transport service, one of the many locations they list on their map is where my vps is supposed to be:
name: LAX10 - One Wilshire
code: CA-62G
CoreSite
624 S GRAND AVE
LOS ANGELES CA, 90017

In addition it appears to go from my area (silicon valley) through San Jose & LAX (Los Angeles). The vps appears to be at that location but it is not a crystal clear as it once was with previous tracert tests months ago.

edit: empirical testing using this site confirms the LA location: http://www.webpagetest.org

Whether or not a host owns their data center is really irrelevant. What's important is that the host is located near the data center and it's employees have hands-on access to the hardware. The hardware they own, of course, not rent.

In most cases you don't want to use a host that built their own data center. It will always be less than a commercial data center. Sometimes much less than. The first host I worked for ran the servers (mostly regular PCs with one large Sun running unix) out of an office. When I say "office" I mean a shack, basically, built on one side of an auto body shop parking lot in a really crappy Los Angeles neighborhood. Granted, that was a long time ago (and they sold that company for more than 12 million dollars in 1999 - just before 99% of net stock crashed and burned), but things haven't changed much where home grown data centers are concerned.

You should be happy if your host locates in a commercial data center. At least that means they care about the network. There is so much commercial data center space available it would be foolish to spend millions of your own dollars to build a small version of the real thing. What's the point? I like steak, but I ain't buying a cow.

Add bluehost.com/hostmonster.com to the list of Endurance buys. A mere 2 million domains added there in one bite. EIG has to be among the top 3 or 4 hosts (or shadow-hosts) by number of domains now.

Add bluehost.com/hostmonster.com to the list of Endurance buys. A mere 2 million domains added there in one bite. EIG has to be among the top 3 or 4 hosts (or shadow-hosts) by number of domains now.
I'm currently using hostmonster and regret it terribly, my site is down more than up recently. Actually that's why I came to this site, to specifically ask about hosting.

So let's say you have a good shared hosting company and you compare it with a VPS is there much of a difference seeing that they are technically both sharing services?

My sites are hosted on hivelocity, and I have just acquired CODForums which is on WiredTree.

These are the reasons I decided to host my own sites. Nothing is better than being in control of your own destiny, good or bad. Not to mention nothing motivates you more to improve, upgrade and monitor than having no one else to blame.

Pop your domain or ip into the traceroute at dnsstuff.com and it will tell you quickly.

When I do that it says ip is Leaseweb which is santrex. I wonder if leaseweb owns Santrex. Santrex is great when they are up. :p Down at least 2-3 times a month ad then a day or so each time they are down.

Update: Leaseweb denies owning Santrex, oh well onwards and upwards.

I will look at this futurequest and hawkhost.

I use a host called FutureQuest They started their own company back in 1998 with one server and six T1's, now they own their own data center and have grown in a manner that keeps the customer happy without sacrificing their system and others on the same server.

Their prices are good, a bit higher than the cheapy cheap hosts, but I have hosted sites with them for 12 years have never had a problem.

For me, it doesn't matter what the web host promises you, it all boils down to what they actually deliver.

Jamie

Jamie these folks seem refreshingly forward in their approach. The cost per month is a bit higher but not by much. I am strongly leaning their way. Do you get any benefits from recommending them? If so, I would be glad to pass that along.

Surprised no one seems to use Singlehop. I get really good service from them at any hour of the day. They are very reasonably priced and the LEAP system is great for all your server stuff. Plus I like them being in Chicago and they let you come visit any time if you want to check it out.

Whether or not a host owns their data center is really irrelevant. What's important is that the host is located near the data center and it's employees have hands-on access to the hardware....
I've been thinking a lot about this. I think it comes down to 'control', in addition to the quality of the company.
  1. If the hosting provider needs to go through another layer of decision making people that is not good. As opposed to
  2. the hosting company has direct access (best) or live people that follow directions explicitly (like changing out a hard drive).

Hands-on is always best, and I would ask that question when host shopping; "Do you physically manage your own servers?" If they don't, they are not a host, they are a middleman.

Jamie these folks seem refreshingly forward in their approach. The cost per month is a bit higher but not by much. I am strongly leaning their way. Do you get any benefits from recommending them? If so, I would be glad to pass that along.

Sorry for the late reply Rob, my net connection at home since my move has been less that desirable.

No, I don't get a bonus for referral, although they do have a program in place for it, I am not a part of it. It's geared more towards the designer that is selling sites and services. Thanks though!

I know you'll be very pleased by them if you choose them.. get in before Easter, as they always have an Easter egg hunt each year for their customers.. Money prizes as credits against your account. :)

Jamie

Top Bottom