XF 1.5 Failed to send emails, tried everything - PHP Version 7.0.21

hnit

Email to someone@gmail.com failed: stream_socket_enable_crypto(): Peer certificate CN=`server.notevenmyhost.net' did not match expected CN=`smtp.mailgun.com' - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php:206

A little background:

So I recently moved to a new server, a VPS with cPanel. Shared with someone turns out of was working fine for few days but not out of nowhere I got this issue. I contacted the mailgun's team and they suggested me to upgrade my certificate. I got a Comodo SSL signed by cPanel itself and I'm getting an A grade on SSL test.

then Mailgun guys asked me to get server.notevenmyhost.net's certificate checked as it showed an F grade and SSL test says invalid. So I asked the other guy and he got it fixed too. Now his SSL tests also show the A Grade.

I thought maybe it has something to do with mailgun so I moved to sparkpost to test if the mails will be delivered or not, that didn't happen either i got the same error again.

Also importan to note is that I use server.notevenmyhost.net:2083 to login to my cPanel. I can use my own domain too but I use his'

after following this guide, I got another error which said

Email to someone@gmail.com failed: stream_context_set_option() expects exactly 4 parameters, 5 given - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php:206

my server's logs have reached 9 pages of errors filled with this issue and my members are on a verge of crying.

I hope I can get some help here soon.
Thank you

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
What are your SMTP settings?

What have you entered for the host name - localhost or the server address?
You should be using the latter.

hnit

hey @Brogan Thanks for coming for help

My current smtp setting looks like this

16a362b61517.png

About the hostname. I have been trying to find a way to edit it but wasn't able to find anything inside admin panel.
then I looked for php settings, at admin.php?tools/phpinfo and it looks like I am using localhost for smtp.

16b363b31717.png

I'm not sure how should I edit it

hnit

Update: I'm trying to add

SMTP = smtp.mailgun.org
smtp_port = 587

in my php.ini file

the port number seems to be updated but not the SMTP server

173371b95117.png

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
If you're entering smtp.mailgun.com and you're getting an error with a different host name, it would appear that there's some sort of man-in-the-middle or proxying happening on your outgoing connectins. That may not be what you want. If you do want that, then this is a certificate that you need to make PHP trust (which would likely require a custom certificate list build). This is something you'd run into with any outgoing SSL connections, so it's unfortunately not related to XF.

stream_context_set_option() expects exactly 4 parameters, 5 given - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php:206
While I would not recommend this, that line in question is wrong. It should be something like:
Code:
stream_context_set_option($this->_socket, 'ssl', 'verify_peer', false);
stream_context_set_option($this->_socket, 'ssl', 'verify_peer_name', false);

hnit

Thank you @Mike. I think I will use that quick fix until I further investigate. I had to disable 2FA so members can login which was a big security risk for most members. Now I just added those two lines and it's working just fine until I check deeper.
For some reason, even my provider is clueless on what's happening.