Facebook & mobile push

Dakota Storm

So I've noticed that Facebook can push alerts/notifications to a mobile device without the need for downloading an external app.

That is to say, I don't have either the Facebook app, nor it's messenger installed on my mobile, yet it can still push notifications to my phone.

So my questions are how are they managing this?,
Can XF implement something like this?

That strictly speaking shouldn't be possible on iPhone as far as I know, that said, there is some level of Facebook integration built into iPhone.

What phone and OS version is this?

It's likely only a matter of time before mobile browsers can receive push alerts and I believe there are various specifications for it but none that have been widely adopted yet.

So regardless of device, I'm suspecting it could be something baked into the phone itself.

Well, this is mostly what I was referring to. This will be one of the aforementioned push specifications I was talking about. It certainly seems from that article, that it is whitelisted to certain sites at the moment.

This is encouraging, though, it seems like one day they'll open it up, just as they have with Chrome on the desktop, so that any developer can use it.

Let's hope so, because I'm getting slightly irritated with having to install apps to supply functionality that should be able to be achieved via a browser.
I'm not one of these people that installs apps just for the sake of having them, and I'd rather not have an app for every single website/forum that I visit, just so that I can get push alerts. Lol
Hell, I don't even have the Facebook apps, I use the browser for it.

Top Bottom