Facebook Logins

Peggy

Question.... when one registers with their FB login, their FB avatar is seen on their posts, profile, etc. Can they then change their avatar to a custom one? Or are they stuck with their FB avatar?

It's changable. We don't sync with FB afterwards, though we likely will need to sync email address changes. (Which could turn into a bit of a nightmare if you switch to an email that is connected to another account)

Thanks Mike for the quick answer. I did change it after I posted the question. Nice.

But your answer begs another question. Why would you have to sync email address changes?

Well, as an FB-registered user, you don't actually have a password. So you can't change your email or your password (since there's nothing to verify against). The interface doesn't show this yet. (If you have access to the email address, you can do the lost password thing and that will generate a password for you, though that's roundabout.)

Thus, if you change your email in FB, we really need to change your email here to ensure it's linked correctly.

ok so let me ask you this -

Say someone wants to register quickly just to get in here, so uses their FB to do so (I tried to beat Jake but didn't make it :rolleyes:). Can I now go and register the regular way?

No, I'm not sure why you would want to though - there's no difference in the accounts, except for the password thing... and really, there's no secure way to give you a password except via a lost-password-esque system (since we can't re-verify your credentials).

I'm talking about registering the regular way where you pick out your own password. I'm not wanting to do this, mind you, I was just using me as an example.
But someone is bound to ask this in the future.

We'll need to check for the no password-case and either give an option to request one, or (when disassociating with FB) explicitly give you a password.

This password would have to be emailed to you, of course. (Otherwise security is out the window.)

Ok forget the FB scenario for now.

Will having a pw emailed to you be the norm? People won't be choosing their own passwords?
Or is that only a FB association issue?

It's an FB association issue. We don't get a password from FB; we just know that you authenticated. But changing things like passwords and email addresses need confirmation of your existing password (try it on FB, for example). However, FB offers no "authenticate again, and check their password" system, so we can't give you a password or let you change your email through that. The only way around that is to email you a temporary password, as we know you have control of that email address (a la lost password).

Top Bottom