Facebook Login Setup?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 745
  • Start date Start date
Hi Dave

Still not working eh? :D

Just to be clear, are you trying to log in to an existing account on your forum using your Facebook credentials?
Or is this for a brand new account which you originally logged in with from Facebook?

I haven't used this feature yet so where are you getting the "Please enter a valid email." error?

Click here - "register/facebook?reg=1" then click "I agree" then "sign up" and you'll see what I mean.

No idea why its showing "Create New Account" and "Associate Existing Account" on my site when on this site it only shows "Associate Existing Account" for me.

I've just gone through the process of setting it up and registering.
This is what I did:

• Login to Facebook using your normal Facebook account (although this is not necessary to create an application)
  • Note down the Application ID and Application Secret
  • Click on Edit settings on the right hand side
  • Click on Web Site on the left hand side and enter:
    • Site URL: http://www.mysite.com/
      • Note: this must be the directory where the forum is installed and include the trailing /
    • Site Domain: mysite.com
      • Your main domain without the http:// and trailing slash, only required for authentication on sub-domains
  • Login to your XenForo forum and go to ACP -> Home -> Options -> Facebook
    • Enter the Application ID and Application Secret obtained above
    • Save Changes
    • Log out of XenForo
  • Open XenForo in a new window/tab and click on Login and then Login with Facebook
    • Enter your Facebook email address and password (if not logged in to Facebook), otherwise allow access for the application
    • Edit your username if you don't want it to be the same as your Facebook name or, associate it with an existing account
    • Agree to the terms and rules and click Sign Up
And you're done.

I just tested that from scratch on my site and it worked fine.

facebook_integration.webp

I can create an account, fill in the details, wait a while so fb is propagated, then I fill in the details on xenforo instance, and try it out 5 minutes later. users can login and associate an existing account, but when creating a new account it says invalid value. so annoying.

I get this when I do it on my site notice the email and "create new Account"
image-1.webp
And image 2 should show just Associate Existing Account (like on this site"​
image-2.webp
The way it should be showing like on this site.​
image-3.webp
See what I mean?​

Something has to be up on Facebook's end or something odd I am missing because I have tried to get this to work with my old app (that has been working on my site for a while without a problem) and now using Brogan's step by step and can't get it to work.

No matter what I try, when I attempt to connect with Facebook I get this: An error occurred while connecting with Facebook. Please try again later.

You are correct Floris, very annoying...

Jamie

Dave,

Your invalid email thing is happening because it's only been granted the FB proxy email, rather than a regular email. I don't even thing that was an option at the time the code was written, but I could be wrong. It looks like supporting the proxy mails would involve making our email field significantly longer. We could, though this is probably the only time it's needed. If you remove the application from your FB profile and regrant permission, I suspect it'll work.

You get the option to register a new account or associate with an existing one if your FB email isn't in use already. Here, you only get the associate option because your accounts are using the same addresses.

Dave,

Your invalid email thing is happening because it's only been granted the FB proxy email, rather than a regular email. I don't even thing that was an option at the time the code was written, but I could be wrong. It looks like supporting the proxy mails would involve making our email field significantly longer. We could, though this is probably the only time it's needed. If you remove the application from your FB profile and regrant permission, I suspect it'll work.

You get the option to register a new account or associate with an existing one if your FB email isn't in use already. Here, you only get the associate option because your accounts are using the same addresses.

How would I do this as i'm new with FaceBook?

Top Bottom