Facebook Killing Forums

I see it from both sides as I am an Admin on a Facebook Group with 18,500 members and also Admin on the sister forum that has been going just over a month now and has 2,500 members. What we find is that the members of the forum are the ones that care and want to share and take part in the community in general where as the members on FB are simply passing through to see what they can get free gratis. So we use that to our advantage now , we simply tell them what we offer is only available on the forum. If they want it they join.. It's just another way of sorting the wheat from the chaff as far as we are concerned..

Regards.

To this date I can say that in all honesty every community I have left has been due to management (policies and sneaky things they or their peoples have done with their blessing) or the general open favoritism of certain members which grows a practice of disparagement which trickles downhill to the little guy which I want no part of, sadly this exists everywhere to an extent.

However in comparison if had only the choice between never getting on a computer again or relying on social networks for an online community...I would make one last stop at instructables to see if I could find something useful to hack my modem into like a boomerang or something. Short of that I would have a new coaster.

Biggest or certainly one of the biggest reasons for " aggro " on board is people picking things up the wrong way or take things out of context ( done it myself a few times ) and who on here can say they have not and I will stand face to face with them and call them a Liar. Even from different parts of the UK which is a small country in the big scheme of things people's mannerisms and dialect are miles apart. And people tend to write the same way as they speak , it's worse again for someone from another country speaking broken english or worse still from an online translator.. Things are picked up or read the wrong way..

Then you get the " EGO Guys " and the " MACHO MEN " , you know the type we all do.. they won't be wrong or see other people's opinion anything other than wrong.

Biggest or certainly one of the biggest reasons for " aggro " on board is people picking things up the wrong way or take things out of context ( done it myself a few times ) and who on here can say they have not and I will stand face to face with them and call them a Liar. Even from different parts of the UK which is a small country in the big scheme of things people's mannerisms and dialect are miles apart. And people tend to write the same way as they speak , it's worse again for someone from another country speaking broken english or worse still from an online translator.. Things are picked up or read the wrong way..

Then you get the " EGO Guys " and the " MACHO MEN " , you know the type we all do.. they won't be wrong or see other people's opinion anything other than wrong.
I would argue miscommunication as the biggest (cause of agro) and replace it with trolling which falls back on to the management that let's certain folks get away with it which spawns offspring trolls because a select group is allowed to practice trolligami which sets the tone and then the followers get banned, warned and otherwise punished while the real cause of the problem incurs no such dishonoring. I have seen it too many times.

Other than that I can agree with you on most of what you say, language barriers are language barriers and the only thing that can overcome that is anti-laziness and the will to actually communicate with another person and find out what they mean before raging on it.

Is there an addon that will take the full first thread and then the replies and forward it to a facebook account and then take the same information that is posted on facebook and add it to the XenForo forum available?

I run a community that was destroyed by Facebook and there was nothing I could do. My community is vastly superior in all but one way. Convenience. Turns out, that's what was most important to my members. No one can beat FB on convenience.

Is there an add-on that will take the full first thread and then the replies and forward it to a facebook account and then take the same information that is posted on facebook and add it to the XenForo forum available?
Not The full thread. Just the first post. But it's a good add-on. I use it myself.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-social-share.2182/
But it's not pulling anything from facebook.

We need a Facebook - Xenforo Sync add-on :cool:

Another thing you can do is set up this
https://xenforo.com/community/resou...-threads-to-twitter-facebook-and-tumblr.1626/

I find it very difficult to convert visitors from Facebook and Twitter into members for my niche. Tried advertising on FB and though that brought lots of impressions, it didn't really bring any new members. I am trying to offer more than just forums such as image galleries and reviews, but it does feel like an uphill battle.

The majority of new members joining my community still are from Google search results.

Well the rise of facebook groups has had a huge impact on mine. ...

People rather post on Facebook. ..

How do you know there's a cause-and-effect relationship between Facebook and your particular forum? Do you have some kind of "before and after Facebook" metrics, anecdotal evidence from users, etc.?

If you're suggesting that Facebook has generally hurt forums, you may be right. But there are so many variables to consider that it's tough to claim anything definitively without some pretty substantial research.

No one can beat FB on convenience.
I'm in several groups myself and people love the convenience and the instant gratification of the back and forth you get. FB is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:
I run a community that was destroyed by Facebook and there was nothing I could do. My community is vastly superior in all but one way. Convenience. Turns out, that's what was most important to my members. No one can beat FB on convenience.

Are you talking about the forum in your signature or about another one?

OK. Thx.

The problem is that new many unexperienced and starry-eyed people open Facebook-groups.
On the one hand it is great so all cannibalize themselves and there are so many dumb people on these groups.

The owners haven't realized that they don't own their content, that they can't export or migrate, that not all posts are shown on the stream, that they can lose everything with a blink of an eye and that monetizing is impossible for them. Most of the groups are members-only, so the won't be even listed on search-engines. The groups-function is crap.
Young people don't use facebook anymore.

Let time work. We can't do much anyway...

Last edited:
To be honest I don't really think that facebook has been killing forums. Social media sites don't really compare to forums. Forum enthusiasts are going to stick with forums and the social media bums are going to stick with social media. There are of course exceptions but I believe that to true in most cases.

I've offered to build a forum/blog for some groups that I'm in, in return for an ad or shoutout once in a while, and I always get replies in the "why would we do that? Facebook is easier" range.

Ok, good luck working for Facebook for free, rather then letting your group work for you.

facebook_left-512.png

herd mentality is prevailing however, the end is nigh! (y)
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/22/facebook-princeton-researchers-infectious-disease

lemmings-at-the-cliff.jpg

time to smell the roses again and rid yourself of this incessant babbling of nonsensical dribble and attention seeking:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...lly-use-facebook/story-fnjwnhzf-1227216307130

We have seen a 20% traffic increase on a 30 day rolling stat compared to the same dates last year which is good but people just don't seem to want to post or reply....

Top Bottom