• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Facebook is killing traditional forums, but there is still time to adapt

STORMS

I'm convinced that AdBlock is killing forums. Twitter and Discord are also culprits.

At the end of the day, you also have to be holding your own with your own forum / website. You have to put in the work daily, or at least weekly.

RobinHood

Some interesting stats in this article.

Mobile is where the users are continuing to go and video is increasingly what the users want to post, consume, and then discuss.

Their ad revenue is up nearly 50% from last year to over $10B for the quarter.

88% of that is from mobile, up 4% from 2016.

Some interesting stats in this article.

Mobile is where the users are continuing to go and video is increasingly what the users want to post, consume, and then discuss.

Their ad revenue is up nearly 50% from last year to over $10B for the quarter.

88% of that is from mobile, up 4% from 2016.
Xenforo needs a dedicated mobile app that makes it just as easy for forum users to view and add content as they can on a desktop or laptop.

A responsive mobile style just isn't enough anymore.

Forums are losing the battle because we can't keep up with the new ways people are consuming content, and that's making us more and more irrelevant every day.

In 2018 it's all about mobile and it's all about apps.

tommydamic68

Xenforo needs a dedicated mobile app that makes it just as easy for forum users to view and add content as they can on a desktop or laptop.

Forums are losing the battle because we can't keep up with the new ways people are consuming content, and that's making us more and more irrelevant every day.

I've been saying this for years...

I've been saying this for years...
I'm absolutely horrified that nothing is being done about it. Forums used to be the leader in online communities, but now we've slowed and slipped back and have been overtaken. And our pace continues to slow. And we can all see it happening right before our eyes.

The time for heads to be pulled out of the sand and getting to work on a solution is now.

Has there ever been any substantive response from Xenforo's developers to the idea of a dedicated, customisable mobile app?

tommydamic68

I'm absolutely horrified that nothing is being done about it. Forums used to be the leader in online communities, but now we've slowed and slipped back and have been overtaken. And our pace continues to slow. And we can all see it happening right before our eyes.

The time for heads to be pulled out of the sand and getting to work on a solution is now.

Has there ever been any substantive response from Xenforo's developers to the idea of a dedicated, customisable mobile app?
From what I understand they have no plans for any type of mobile app. Unfortunately Tapatalk is the only option as of now.

This is hyperbole. I, for one, do not want an app for every forum I browse. A good responsive design is all we need. Maybe push notification support in the future (iOS12 could implement service workers for Safari, fingers crossed).

I think what xf REALLY needs is an official API. That way we can easily create 3rd party software like mobile apps ourselves.

dutchbb

There is an other solutions what would could work for forums, Progressive web apps, google is pushing this as a better option for most websites.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/mobile-suite-for-xenforo.5726/

But on a native app adsense can't be blocked so that is something to consider (no idea if you can block them on progressive web apps) . On the other hand 15 Februari google is comming with his own adblocker in chrome that only blocks intrusive ads, this can give an extra boost in income for forums.
https://www.betterads.org/standards/
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/19/16797522/google-chrome-ad-blocker-release-date-announced

AMP pages could also boost the user experience on mobile (what is is all about these days).

Floyd R Turbo

Everyone seems to think it's just really simple to make an app that works the way everyone think it should. The reality is that iOS push notification and the Apple Store is a %$#@% to deal with. All kinds of roadblocks, and they just don't care to appease people. I mean, look at iTunes for a PC, it's a wreck. I have tried to figure things out on that and there are things in that which are a total counter-intuitive hot mess to the point where if I want to figure anything out or get anything done, I get one of the kids to do it. Now that makes me sound old but from the perspective of a guy whose first PC was an IBM 8086 in the mid 1980s (dad worked for Big Blue) and my first modem was 300 baud and I was regularly on WWIV BBSs as a kid, that's saying something. Apple sucks and they are the primary roadblock here, and a very large % of mobile users use Apple, including myself.

So don't go blaming forum software, not completely.