MG 2.1 External Domain serving images

Hello,

Medial Gallery looks great so far!

One quick question...

I have my store, forum, and media gallery on my VPS hosting, but would like all uploaded and served images to be located on a completely different domain (shared hosting) where bandwidth is cheap as dirt.

What would I have to modify, or is there a plugin (please name it) to do what I want?

My old VBGallery swelled up to over 10gb of images, and I don't want that much extra space used on my VPS.

Thanks,
Brad

The Media Gallery uses the underlying attachment system, so there isn't really a way to directly separate out it's content.

It is possible to serve attachment data from a separate server/location. Here's the concept of how it can be done using Amazon S3:

It would be possible to do it with an arbitrary server with this concept, though it would require some custom development.

Note that to respect permissions, we normally serve full size attachments through PHP, so they are actually served via your server (even if the files are hosted elsewhere).

Another alternative can be to use something like NFS to place the files elsewhere but allow them to still be accessed as if they're local.

Ok thanks.
I wonder if I simply moved the attachments to my shared host and then used a rewrite rule to serve them from there?
So basically allow XFMG to write to my VPS as normal, but manually move them in bulk later.

I will look into something like that when I eat up my last 30gb of free space.

Brad

Last edited:
Top Bottom