XF 1.5 Exposing the primary usergroup control to moderators?

N1Gaming

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to the backend of xenforo, so I'm learning as I go. Everything has been a great success so far and I'm finding it all very easy to get accustomed to. That being said, there may be an obvious solution that I've overlooked for this because of a lack of experience. I'm currently looking for a way to allow moderators to change a user's primary usergroup.

As part of the joining process for the community, users must "apply" by filling out a form and the staff approve it, talk them over the rules and so on before they become a member. The downside to this approach is that we have a lot of staff members to get things up and running and I'd rather not give everyone backend access if possible. I've made some users moderator via the admincp to test the permissions but can't seem to allow them to change a usergroup.

The only way I've found around this is listing them as administrator and giving them the option to manage users and moderators and unless I'm misunderstanding this would allow them to promote other users to staff groups and so on, which is something I'm not comfortable with.

Something I've done in the past is to use something like this addon: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/dbtech-dragonbyte-shop.5019/updates

Then, you only allow those you want to be moderators to "buy" the access for someone. So you put these moderators in a usergroup, only allow that usergroup access to whatever "BUY" command you setup.

That allows you to have more of a granular control over who can do what, without giving them admin permissions.

Something I've done in the past is to use something like this addon: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/dbtech-dragonbyte-shop.5019/updates

Then, you only allow those you want to be moderators to "buy" the access for someone. So you put these moderators in a usergroup, only allow that usergroup access to whatever "BUY" command you setup.

That allows you to have more of a granular control over who can do what, without giving them admin permissions.
I like the look of this, but it seems a little unnecessary for what I'm trying to do.

Something I forgot to ask, is there any way to specify a sort of power level for the forums? For example user might have a power level of 1, moderator level 2 and administrator level 3? If I accomplish what I'm trying to do, I only want staff to be able to assign below their rank.

I know of no other way to do what you want to do. Not saying it's not possible, I just don't know of one.

But with the addon I mentioned you could do what you want.

Create three usergroups

Group1
Group2
Group3

Create three items to modify the primary usergroup that you want each specific group to be able to assign (or remove).

Assign the first to Group 1, second to group 2, third to group3.

I really think you can do what you want, and even better. It's just that you have to make it happen.

I'm currently looking for a way to allow moderators to change a user's primary usergroup.
All users should have their primary user group set to the Registered user group. Additional permissions should be assigned by adding users to other secondary user groups.

XenForo permissions are designed to be cumulative across multiple user groups. This is explained in this official guide:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

Top Bottom