1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Use-case for changing primary usergroup?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Sim, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

I'm wondering under what circumstances you might want to change a users primary usergroup as opposed to the recommended mechanism of leaving them in the Registered primary group and adding them to secondary usergroups as required?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The only use case I can think of is to do with permissions which have numerical values.

Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes) for example, or Maximum conversation recipients, as the higher value will always take precedence.

However, that is a rare situation and in the vast majority of cases I would recommend having all members in the Registered user group as the primary.
    Sim likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's probably most commonly used post importing to deal with adjusting your setup to fix XF's approach (which can be different from other systems).
    Sim likes this.
  4. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I'm dealing with at the moment - testing an import from vBulletin and coming up with a checklist of things that need fixing post migration.