Everything is paid

Sirchade

First of all, English is not very good so I'm sorry. As I see all the useful add-ons cost money, and an invitation system, the trader system (nice one), recent topics, themes .. In this way, not ..

Most things that other forum systems free of charge 15 euro starts here. While I did not know it was gonna be, would not buy if they knew. I would like to find a solution to this issue urgently managers.

Best Regards,
Cendla Webmaster Forums

Anyone can view the offerings in the Resource Manager and see what is free and what isn't...whether they own an XF license or not. If they buy without investigating first, how is that anyone's problem but theirs? Also, if you think the quality of add on's is better or more numerous with the free forum solutions, then by all means, have at it. ;)

I know better quality addons for other forum solutions, but all is paid. Come on? Really we must give latest topics for 10.00 $ ?

Must admit I saw a new mod added here today, not trying to knock the releaser or anything, good luck to him selling it. But the paid mod "send an email to ADMIN when a new member joins your forum". Right away I thought. vB3 has that as a bog standard feature built-in by default. Not only that, how can the developers now add that feature into XenForo 1.2 (for example) without feeling like they've just stepped on a mod releasers toes "earnings" doing so. Yet, it's a pretty basic feature in vB3 I'd expect to see there in future releases of XenForo at some point.

I know better quality addons for other forum solutions, but all is paid. Come on? Really we must give latest topics for 10.00 $ ?

Oh boy, another of those paid mods thread. I will be brutally honest as my patience is wearing very thin with the likes of the OP.

No one forces you to pay a dime for a mod pal.

Not only is LESS THAN 50% a paid add-on. The ones that are paid are underpriced.
Personally I think about 50% of the stuff that is actually a paid add-on could easily be free, but I don't care if the developer decides to get paid for his or her hard work.

Free addons are the butter on the bread, some times when more work is involved (work can be factored in time, degree of difficulty and inherent stress load amongst other things in my opinion) an addon which may one day become richer in function may become a paid addon because it is more like bread and less the butter on top.

When someone put's a lot of time into something they deserve within reason to be compensated at a level they deem necessary whether it be in the form of money, a registration at another forum of addon owners specification, or simple agreement with the terms as stated.

I have not browsed every single thing in the resource manager as life has been pretty hectic for me recently but I can say that in general I have not been shocked by any prices of any kind so far. And as far as I am concerned, if an addon developer is going to make a commitment to an addon to keep it updated (with major xf versions 1.x.x , then 2.x.x being a new line or something like that if it is the kind of thing that needs to be updated) they should be able to better gauge what they need to recoup in time and thus money than someone who could not code it themselves and would have no benchmark to gauge what the overall value (is it one of a kind with rights transferred, purchasing a copy that any one can purchase, how long did it take to code/complexity level and how involved it was the process of building testing and debugging...etc etc) of the item is to pose any argument.

My argument for this is I don't even know how to gauge the price of a style, I can create a custom one from scratch for xf in a solid day or two but I have no clue what to charge for it and this is a real situation for me. Being that this is true and I know it to be, I still totally understand and believe it to be so that there should be no haggling for the price of another persons labor. If you don't like it you must just move on. In my case I feel the person I am dealing with on this style to be honorable and believe him when I ask what he honestly believes the job to be worth but I am willing to accept that number whatever it turns out to be as I am already comfortable with the idea....I am more about doing the job than working out the business end associated with it.

I don't do this as a profession and basically I am trying to fund an addon to be released here that I cannot complete myself because of gaps in my php knowledge and experiences especially dealing with databases. I know what I need done in the end when completed is going to cost over $1000 for me to own the code that someone else supplements my skill level with and thus be able to license it out for free use to any xenforo customer and the part I need done is just a small fraction of the addon that I am building myself. Coding takes time and time is money. I am willing to absorb that cost for something I can see in my head to be a good thing...just as a developer has free will to choose the level of their compensation, the possible scenarios involved with developer and customer needs presents an endless amount of variables.

Like I said before if you don't like the price move on. I think of it this way, you should not be comfortable telling someone to charge less for their labor unless you are comfortable with your boss coming around at raise time and saying you should be paid less for your hourly wage.

First of all, English is not very good so I'm sorry. As I see all the useful add-ons cost money, and an invitation system, the trader system (nice one), recent topics, themes .. In this way, not ..

Most things that other forum systems free of charge 15 euro starts here. While I did not know it was gonna be, would not buy if they knew. I would like to find a solution to this issue urgently managers.

Best Regards,
Cendla Webmaster Forums

All of the addons are written by independent developers. As such, many addons are not free.

The good thing about paid addons is that it ensures a certain level of support and continued development by the author.

I myself prefer the paid add-ons. Firstly because authors have to development their talents taking years of learning and secondly their privilege whether they want to charge <insert add-on here. Take for example Syndol and the bookmark add-on (btw i seriously thought he under charged for his work) that I made another donation after purchasing it because he welcomed so many suggestions and implemented them keeping two sets of parties happy whilst not compromising the product. Not only that, he has gave a level of maintaining and updating the add-on to a high standard that I am personally happy with.

I'm not saying free add-ons from authors don't offer that level of support but authors deserve to charge whatever they deem fit considering they put the time in learning coding, putting time in coding the add-on and putting in the extra time updating, supporting their resources. I have no problem with this whatsoever and feel charge for your add-ons shouldn't be a focus point but looked at the amount of time <insert author here> has put into developing their talents, add-on and supporting their <insert add-on name here>.

Based on a true story

1298928235.jpg

@mrgtb ... I dont think mike or kier will bat an eyelid or care if they add stuff to the core that 'steps on a mod releaser's toes'... if functionality belongs in the core then it will get there regardless of whether an add-on (paid or not) exists. I only hope that in the few cases where core functionality does step on the toes of a mod that mike and kier provide a way to let the mod users switch with ease... i'm sure they will think of such things.

With regards to the op... mods take time to develop. some coders do this for free, some dont. thats a fact of life. I have bought many xenforo mods from this site and all of them are worth the money. If you want a pethora of free mods then look again, there are plenty that are free - that or switch to phpBB.

@mrgtb ... I dont think mike or kier will bat an eyelid or care if they add stuff to the core that 'steps on a mod releaser's toes'... if functionality belongs in the core then it will get there regardless of whether an add-on (paid or not) exists.

The only example I've seen of this is that Kier posted how he'd planned to add bookmarks to the core but then decided not to as their was an addon released (which then got pulled by the author a while later).

It isnt pulled, its just not available until he sorts out a payment vehicle. I'm actually very surprised kier didn't want to press ahead with bookmarks anyway since no software i know of has that in the core.

Just to correct a few of the points which have been made.

Kier didn't say he wasn't going to develop bookmarking functionality, he just said he would have to do it differently to differentiate it from the add-on.

The original version of the bookmarks add-on was free and was subsequently removed by the developer a few months later.
The latest version, by the same developer, is paid.

It isnt pulled, its just not available until he sorts out a payment vehicle. I'm actually very surprised kier didn't want to press ahead with bookmarks anyway since no software i know of has that in the core.

Sorry I meant his original version (post-it) which was pulled a while again (and has since come back as a new addon).

It's the only time I've seen Kier refer to an addon having an impact on his own plans for developement. (Brogan, yeah, he didn't say he'd never do it but said he'd have to come up with something different which is still the same point).

Anyway, the point I was making is that addons can (and have) had an effect on what gets into the core.

Top Bottom