XF 1.0 Everyone's News Feed

There's an alternative way to find new content and keep up with what is going on with XenForo than clicking the 'What's new?' link.

If you click on the 'Members' tab, and then the 'Everyone's news feed' link, you will find the global activity stream. Everything that all members of the board does is published to the news feed. It's kinda fun to sit on that page and refresh from time to time to discover what people are doing and posting about.

I really love this feature. Just might get a little crazy when you have a few thousand users.

Edit: Just wish there was a quicker way to get to it lol. I find it addicting.

This would made it into one of the most awesome features if were to integrate it with digg spy or anything of sort that provide real time feeds.

:D YEEEEEEEESH :D

Thanks Kier & Mike! For doing the Follow ajax
It's good to see that customer feedback is being considered, reviewed, tested, implemented, and executed.
Together; users and team; this will be the best software out there.
I don't know how you found the time to tweak a feature while writing the software and fixing reported bugs.

Yeah auto refresh would be great to have as an option. and I don't believe it will be as hard on the server as everyone is saying. You would be able to determine how often it would fetch new content.

An auto-polling alert system that provides a push capability would be facing requests more than 1 per second. Additional collusion to the main page loading, this could bring the server down quite easily on a server without great specifications.

You would have to have one amazing server to be able to even remotely support something like that.
A busy shared web or database server deals with tens of thousands of requests per second. You don't need any mega hardware to deal with that, it's the way servers work.

To bring a modern server down, as in a DDoS atack, you need to flood the server with requests it can't complete or close, or a volume the server/router can't deal with. Ideally in the hundreds of thousands per second. No software is going to do that, unless it does it on purpose.

There's an alternative way to find new content and keep up with what is going on with XenForo than clicking the 'What's new?' link.

If you click on the 'Members' tab, and then the 'Everyone's news feed' link, you will find the global activity stream. Everything that all members of the board does is published to the news feed. It's kinda fun to sit on that page and refresh from time to time to discover what people are doing and posting about.

Are you able to also introduce a Friends News Feed so that we can just see the posts / activity from those we are following ?

This was one of the first things I saw coming in here, and one of the most promising actually. Gives a social networking feeling to the members, I think this will be in everyone's personal favorites! Nice!

Inline context-sensitive Help for endusers

Are you able to also introduce a Friends News Feed so that we can just see the posts / activity from those we are following ?

"Your news feed" does that :)

Yeah, I understand this now also. Maybe, just maybe it would be good to have a little explanation text on top of the first page of this Your News Feed overview screen? Or... in a box on the left or right of the screen (so much space left, anyway). Maybe a dismissable text, so you can click it away if you have read/understood it. I know that good software like this doesn't really need much explanation, bur for users who are fairly new to social stuff like this, it might be really helpful/inviting to use the system if they have just a little help here and there.

Top Bottom