XF 1.0 Everyone's News Feed

There's an alternative way to find new content and keep up with what is going on with XenForo than clicking the 'What's new?' link.

If you click on the 'Members' tab, and then the 'Everyone's news feed' link, you will find the global activity stream. Everything that all members of the board does is published to the news feed. It's kinda fun to sit on that page and refresh from time to time to discover what people are doing and posting about.

Inline context-sensitive Help for endusers

Yeah, I understand this now also. Maybe, just maybe it would be good to have a little explanation text on top of the first page of this Your News Feed overview screen? Or... in a box on the left or right of the screen (so much space left, anyway). Maybe a dismissable text, so you can click it away if you have read/understood it. I know that good software like this doesn't really need much explanation, bur for users who are fairly new to social stuff like this, it might be really helpful/inviting to use the system if they have just a little help here and there.

Aha. Look, they added this text now:

'Activity stream for all users you follow.'

Good!

A question, what does the "Hide" in newsfeed do? From the looks of it, it hides the news item from the person who hid it. IMO a better although slightly harder and resource intensive use could be if a person could hide some part of his own profile edit from the newsfeed.

No this is not the same as setting privacy option.

eg. i might want to share my newsfeed with all but i might not want a typo edit or some change in my profile to be shown on the newsfeed. So maybe that is something that can be hidden from the newsfeed. (Although i think the resources and permissions to check and implement something like this would make this inviable)

A question, what does the "Hide" in newsfeed do? From the looks of it, it hides the news item from the person who hid it. IMO a better although slightly harder and resource intensive use could be if a person could hide some part of his own profile edit from the newsfeed.

No this is not the same as setting privacy option.

eg. i might want to share my newsfeed with all but i might not want a typo edit or some change in my profile to be shown on the newsfeed. So maybe that is something that can be hidden from the newsfeed. (Although i think the resources and permissions to check and implement something like this would make this inviable)

I'm pretty sure it hides all updates from that person. Like Facebook. :)

I'm pretty sure it hides all updates from that person. Like Facebook. :)

Its great if that's what it does :) But that does not explain the "Hide" being shown for feed items from other users then ;) And if the backend is smart enough to differentiate that a hide request from me for another users feed item means hide the post from me only, then i think this part needs to be explained in an FAQ entry somewhere cos its not immediately obvious.

ps: am not much of a facebook user. Yeah, hard to believe but its true. :p

An auto refresh every minute would be so cool with the newsfeed, it's a lovely feature.

I'd be interested to know if the items displayed in the "everyones newsfeed" view would be hidden based on usergroup or forum permissions.
I wouldn't want everyone to see all content, unless they had explicit access via group membership or a forum membership.

If you click on the 'Members' tab, and then the 'Everyone's news feed' link, you will find the global activity stream. Everything that all members of the board does is published to the news feed. It's kinda fun to sit on that page and refresh from time to time to discover what people are doing and posting about.
Please correct me if I am wrong..."Everyone's News Feed" is now "Recent Activity" I believe, right? :)

Top Bottom