Ever see someone plan a raid on your site

DRE

Ever see someone on another site plan a raid on your site? A poster on my site linked me to the post and I read it. I laughed then thought hmm am I prepared for a raid? 'noobs can't make threads' - check. 'noobs can't access general chat' - check. Yeah I'm ready. What do you do when you see someone try to raid your site? They just raided a member on here's site and now they want to raid mine.

When you join another xenforo member's site and their drama spills out to your site when you didn't really have anything to do with it does that make you want to not join people's sites?

Ugh its even worse when they use the resources that you pay for out of your own pocket to to plan a mutiny.( ie: PC's) you now have to be a subscribing member to have multiple PC recipients on my forum. You have to have at minimum of 5 posts to create a clickable link. And of course i have several other stop gaps in place for just those occasions.. But they wouldnt work if i gave up all my secrets.

Of course banning over twenty of your most active users in a single day also serves as a pretty grim reminder of who is in charge. Even if they all took a member or two with them. lol not something im eager to do again but i would and will if its what it takes to restore harmony.

LOL

I actually had some kids invade. They were named "Troll1" "Troll2" & the leader was named something else. Started spamming my forums. Banned. It was funny, as soon as I banned the first two trolls, the leader pretended to act like a normal member, I still banned.

I get kids often joining only to bash at me and do all sorts of moronic things because it shares a common word of another forums in our domain. Threats of telling the other site admins and having my site closed down, legal action, blah blah :ROFLMAO:

Funny thing is you'd expect the other site admins to be mature enough but they silently approve.

Wait till they decide to DDoS you because you banned them. Some how some of these 12 y/o's have access to fairly large botnets, and i've been victim of 1gig/s floods from these children.

Wait till they decide to DDoS you because you banned them. Some how some of these 12 y/o's have access to fairly large botnets, and i've been victim of 1gig/s floods from these children.
I'm glad I don't own game servers or anything, haha.

I doubt they have the brains for that (or guts for that matter).

If anyone tried that with me, I'd have not only my Incident Response teams looking into the matter, I'd also drag in law enforcement.

On the old forum where I was co-admin, this happened occasionally. Our moderators were usually on top of it fairly quickly, and they quite enjoyed the challenge, I think. Sometimes we'd find the trolls' lair before they attacked, and since trolls are rarely very smart they used the same usernames when they signed up with us, so it was easy (and fun!) to ban them even before they started posting.

We did have one or two clever trolls that managed to stick around for ages before we could properly identify them as trolls. One was a repeat offender who managed to be appointed moderator. (This was before I was appointed admin ...) After he got banned, he created ridiculous characters with the most unbelievable stories. It was fun too, in a twisted sort of way. Oh well, he was a fun, but oh-so-controversial guy, and we still keep in touch per email occasionally ...

I'm glad I don't own game servers or anything, haha.

I doubt they have the brains for that (or guts for that matter).

I do run game servers...

I've seen DDoS's at my services that have taken down EV1Servers/ThePlanet (back before I went colo) on the order of 15-20 gigabit/sec. :(

Top Bottom