Ever ban someone for being annoying?

yep.

I had one member who constantly posted links to climate change sites spouting "internet drivel" without so much as comment or interjection. Each post was literally just a link. I asked time and time again for her to add some content, other members asked questions that went unanswered. In the end, she got booted.

The we had a 12 year old who was just plain annoying and irritated the hell out of everyone. He was put into Coventry and all sorts, eventually we just banned him for being annoying.
:D

Yes.

I see my site as my house. And I decide who is free to join the party and who's not.
People are welcome as long as they behave. If they're annoying and ruining the mood for the rest. They're out.

yep.

I had one member who constantly posted links to climate change sites spouting "internet drivel" without so much as comment or interjection. Each post was literally just a link. I asked time and time again for her to add some content, other members asked questions that went unanswered. In the end, she got booted.

The we had a 12 year old who was just plain annoying and irritated the hell out of everyone. He was put into Coventry and all sorts, eventually we just banned him for being annoying.

A user posting a link all the time is a spammer. Don't hesitate to think it's a real user that's there to better your community with good content. Kick them out without a warning. They're just a spam bot. Clearly, otherwise every post wouldn't be a link.

yep.

LOL What is Coventry?

Yes.

I see my site as my house. And I decide who is free to join the party and who's not.
People are welcome as long as they behave. If they're annoying and ruining the mood for the rest. They're out.

A user posting a link all the time is a spammer. Don't hesitate to think it's a real user that's there to better your community with good content. Kick them out without a warning. They're just a spam bot. Clearly, otherwise every post wouldn't be a link.
Hey that's a good way to look at it but what if that member is only annoying to a certain group of members and pretty much leaves everyone else alone? That's the dilemma I have at the moment. Especially cause this dude was a moderator and he's arguing with a former moderator. He keeps talking about lawsuits and all sorts of weird stuff.

I almost did a few times. And then when I did... He never came back.
Your lucky. I once had to ban a member probably... 300 times before he stopped. He used the infinite emails trick where you add a + sign and numbers after it. He was a dude posing as a girl and kept rejoining even after I banned him, posing as another girl, stealing pics from facebook etc. He finally gave up when someone on another site found his real facebook page.

.......Remove the moderator of his duties and then be done with it. If the arguments escalate, go ahead and ban.

I already demoted him but he keeps sending me private messages and complaining in random threads.
sounds like he is being annoying, put him on the discouraged feature, that means you get your own back ;)
and take off his private messages - they are a privilege not a right!

Its a UK saying - when someone is sent to Coventry they are ignored. It also used to be the name of the global ignore setting within vB
Oh I know what you mean now. When I was on vbulletin I had called it Global Ignore. Same thing.

We give our members a medium-sized leash. Particularly on The Paracast forums, because it's a radio show that covers a wide range of offbeat subject matter. But if we see the member getting way out of hand, they are given an enforced vacation.

I've never used the discouraged feature. Sounds pretty cool.
It's almost the same thing as the hellban on vBulletin if you had that hack. The difference is, it redirects the discouraged member from viewing your site, instead, takes the member to the website of the administrator's choice. In my example, I own a COD website, so I redirected each banned member to a like-minded forum. This way, if he makes a fool of himself on that website, he's going to be well-known as such elsewhere.

Hey that's a good way to look at it but what if that member is only annoying to a certain group of members and pretty much leaves everyone else alone? That's the dilemma I have at the moment. Especially cause this dude was a moderator and he's arguing with a former moderator. He keeps talking about lawsuits and all sorts of weird stuff.
A user should be respectful to anybody on the site. And not only that. If they're annoying to a certain user or a group of users, and the staff asks him/her to refrain from that behavior and it's ignored ..... I see no reason why you'd let someone on your site that disrespects the staff.

Making a mistake is one thing, getting a warning is another thing. A second chance is an option too.
Disrespecting others is a no go, ignoring a warning and a second chance results in a ban.

It's also a clear sign to others who are bending the rules that they can't really get away with too much.
And more importantly, it's a clear sign to the regulars who are behaving that they have trusted members on the staff team willing to keep the site enjoyable for them to return to it over and over again.

A community should have a positive mood. One reason why I like XenForo is because a like button provokes good content and good users, and that there's no dislike button to provoke the users to clique together to jump on another user.

The actions by a user are open to an internal discussion, they're free to dispute their warning or ban with their point of view, but it's for the site owner to take it under consideration and decide to ban or unban someone.

The users on a site should realize they shouldn't put the staff in the position where they waste their time discussing the matter, the user is annoying - he or she can simply stop.

Top Bottom