1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU Cookie Directive - have you done anything ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wii, Oct 11, 2012.

1. wii

wii Active Member

I just found out about this:

http://eucookiedirective.com/

Have any of you implemented a popup telling people about cookies ?

I've seen it a few times, but it's rare.

Thanks

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Technically, we've all done just about enough to cover our backs.

XenForo 1.1.3 has a default notice explaining about cookie usage.

3. wii

wii Active Member

4. euantor

euantor Well-Known Member

I personally haven't done anything about it at all.

5. wii

wii Active Member

The fine is up to 500000 pounds, what the heck ????

6. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

Nothing.

If I were a registered entity that actively targets internet users in the EU/UK, then I'd probably consider it.

7. euantor

Doesn't it only apply to sites hosted in the EU anyway? I live in the UK but host in the US...

8. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

There's a notation in the rules somewhere that states if you actively sell products or otherwise target residents of the UK/EU, then your site would need to be in compliance, regardless of where it's hosted.

In my case, none of my equipment is located in the European regions. I also don't run any UK/EU centric sites that could be construed as targeting UK/EU users. Even if I did, I'd still likely not stick some notice up about it.

It's becoming an eyesore for sites I run into, repeating the same thing over and over about cookies.

9. euantor

I'll have to bear that in mind. Right now my only active site is a personal blog but I'm currently building up a xenforo one where I'll likely need to add a cookie notice :(

10. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I try to avoid onshore hosting at all cost. People automatically assume that when you're looking for offshore hosting; it means you're up to no good. This is not true at all. It just means you've realized how stupid the administration is in typical "onshore" countries and it's just better off to avoid all that drama.

With this said, XenForo provides a default option which seems to be good enough. Chris Deeming also was good enough to develop this;

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/cookie-law-cookie-control-widget-implied-consent-only.789/

Although it stop working for me (not his fault my site is customized to death)

11. wii

wii Active Member

Does this mean that the law doesn't apply for private forums with no commercial interest ?

12. mike os

mike os Active Member

we added it to the terms & conditions on sign up and also as a dismissable notice for current users

from what i can make out as long as you are trying to implement a solution you are unlikely to be prosecuted, but if you do nothing they are gunning for you

13. RastaLulz

RastaLulz Well-Known Member

No. I personally think it's silly, as cookies are a vital part of almost every site (especially with a user system).

I don't see how telling the user helps them any way, if they were so paranoid of cookies to begin with, they should have disabled them.

14. mike os

mike os Active Member

silly or not it is the law in the EU, and to me it is just foolish to ignore when a solution or at least a mitigation is relatively simple

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Well-Known Member

In a word, no. If a site uses cookies the regulations state that consent should be obtained from the subscriber or user. This is how it's laid out by the UK's Information Commissioner's Office:

Source link (pdf format): http://www.ico.gov.uk/news/blog/201...ractical_application/cookies_guidance_v3.ashx

16. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

17. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Did someone say cookies? I took this pic just now. You'll never catch me wearing this hat in public though.

2012-10-11 17.34.16.jpg

Jeremy P likes this.