XF 1.5 ErrorException: Fatal Error: Maximum execution time of 120 seconds exceeded - library\Zend\Db\...


Well-known member
I've uninstalled [Tinthe] XenTag on local XAMP test system. The rebuilding of the caches (I think that is what is just happening) constantly gives me that error, every time I try to resume:

ErrorException: Fatal Error: Maximum execution time of 120 seconds exceeded - library\Zend\Db\Statement\Mysqli.php:208
Generated By: UserXYZ, 8 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(53) "http://localhost/xenforo/admin.php?tools/run-deferred"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["tools/run-deferred"] => string(0) ""
  ["_POST"] => array(3) {
    ["redirect"] => string(34) "http://localhost/xenforo/admin.php"
    ["execute"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"

I already increased PHP max_execution_time in php.ini and restarted Apache.
The wonder: before increasing in phpinfo() it was 30 sec., after increasing + restarting it is the 180 sec which I've set. Where does the 120 sec error come from?

Any help is appreciated.
Visit admin.php?tools/phpinfo to confirm the value within XenForo. It's possible the value is being overridden in software (e.g. library/config.php).

Big offenders when it comes to long cache rebuilds are styles, languages, usergroups, and nodes. If you have excessive numbers of any of these things then it can increase your cache rebuild time.
Thanks Jake.
Just checked: with admin.php?tools/phpinfo max_execution_time is 180 sec too, config.php does not contain any related info.

The installation is not "blank", but medium sized, 30k users, 3 languages, 3 styles, 20 usergroups. I would assume this should be easily managed by an i7/32GB RAM local system. Never hat such problems - just now, when uninstalling XenTag. Seconds before I uninstalled "Xentag importer" without a problem.

Since system is blocked now (I can use frontend and backend, but no cache rebuild is possible), I would not know how to proceed. It's just a test system, so not critical. But I really would like to solve. Such thing happening live would be bad.
Last edited:
Thanks Jake!

But that didn't work - it cleared the deffered queue and the message on the starting page of ACP ("rebuild not finished, start over" or similar) went away. But the error occured again afterwards.

I then checked, when it happened: always at "Templates" after 11 dots.

Long story short: I deleted 2 childs of a Audentio style. These childs did contain just the color palette, not a full style, but they were the guilty: deleting the first child caused again the error, deleting the second child succedded. Too bad, I liked that strukture with 2 depending childs, now I have to think over to achieve the same without duplicating (and maintaining) several styles.

Thank you again for your support!
Top Bottom